Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. D -- Blogmeister

-

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by Mr. D

Adding Images to Your Page
Use clip art in your blog
What's your Learning Style?
Canadian History Museum
Bubbleshare
Moviemaker
Collaboration Nation-A Middle School Blog
Learning Area 20
Snappoll---create a survey for your blog
Doodle: Easy Scheduling---create a poll for you and your friends
What should I read?---Good site to help you choose a book to read
Concrete Poem creator
Diamante Poem creator

Title: 81-82 Compare & Contrast Essay Guide (04/08/09)
Description: Your blog for this week is based on both Chanda's Secret and the movie 'Blood Diamond'.

Your task is to write at minimum 250 words comparing and contrasting both the novel and the movie.

Here are a few links to compare & contrast essay guides. Read them over and use them to your advantage.

Read Write Think: Compare and Contrast Essay Guide

Read Write Think: Compare & Contrast Map

Book Rags: Compare & Contrast Guide

Chanda’s Secrets and Blood diamond share many similarities as well as differences. Although not vastly different, they do share some differences in the focus of the story as well as the actions of the characters. The similarities they share; the importance of family, their jobs, and the location that the stories take place in. This essay will highlight and describe these similarities and differences.

In Chanda's Secrets, family is one of the only reasons Chanda does the thing she does. Their actions control hers and the main conflicts in the book are how she struggles to maintain order in the chaotic weave of her life. This is parallel to Solomon Vandy’s (Blood Diamond) search for his family. He shows extreme passion and determination throughout the movie and his love for his family is as strong as Chanda’s.

One obvious difference is the jobs that Chanda’s father and Solomon share. Both worked in diamond mines for people of higher social status than themselves. However they differentiate with the focus on diamonds. While diamonds are important in either story, they disappear in Chanda’s Secrets after her father and brothers die in the mines. This is completely different from Blood Diamond, where diamonds are significant throughout the whole movie.

One of the most obvious similarities is the fact that both stories take place in Africa so, I won’t dwell on that for too long. A main difference between them is the mentality of the characters in the story, while in Chanda’s Secrets characters strive to keep their reputations in check while, in Blood Diamond characters are willing to do everything and anything to get diamonds/family.

In conclusion, Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond share as many similarities as differences. However, one of the most powerful and compelling similarities is the strength and dedication all the characters share, no matter how beaten down and hurt they are by the cruelty of the world.

72
81
82
Alumni 08

Locations of visitors to this page You've been marked on my visitor map! Clicky Web Analytics

Clicky

Website Hit Counters
Website Hit Counter