Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Lubich Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

The 743 Blog Spot

by Mrs. Lubich

Mountain Ridge Home
Dictionary
Language Arts Activities
More LA Activities
Tools Log In
Writing Mysteries
MysteryNet Kids
Nasa: Day of Remembrance
NASA
Write On! Book Reviews
Academy of Achievement
A Poem A Day
Free Rice
The Highwayman
Mrs. Markwart's Class
South Paris Class Chat
Miss Flett's Class
Ms. Durff''s Class
Mr. D's class
Ms. Low's Area 11 Class
Photostory Tutorial
Ms. H's Top Dog Blog
School Tube
Teen Ink
Ms. Fisher's Class
Mr. Ellis' class
Ms. Richardson's Bloggers Blast
Mrs. Smith's Class Blog
The DWMS Blog Spot-Mrs. G
At The Fireplace Blog
Ms. Casey's Class
Mr. Ullrich's Blog
Mr. McCarthy's class blog
Mrs. G's Class
Mrs. B's 5th Grade Class
Mrs. Hill
GREAT READS!!
Mr. G's Class Blog
Landmark for Schools
"The Shadow"
Poetry Wiki
Mr. Mac's Class

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 04:13 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 229

I am proud that we have banned book week.  I don't think any book should be banned just beacause one person disagrees with it. If a reader doesn't like a book, than they should put the book down, not try to get it banned! Any ways, baned book week is a good example of how here, we have the freedom to say what we want, and not have someone else tell us what to say.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 09:40 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 41

Books should not be banned. I feel that people have a right to write what they want to write. People do have the freedom of speech, but I don’t think they should speak against a book unless it’s hurting someone else. We all have a choice to choose and certain people can choose not to read those books. Those people who choose not to read those books should not ban other people from reading them though. That is why I feel that books should not be banned.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 46

I feel they should be banned because I can not read about stuff. It falls in to where kids have the rite to not read if they do not want to. I think we do because my dad makes me read 7 days a week so pretty much every day. I do think they sould be banned.

Article posted September 28, 2011 at 06:38 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 49

I felt more not to ban books because one, it helps people to read and write more advanced. It’s also a great form of entertainment. Reading books is a lot healthier for your brain rather than video games. I think that’s it’s important to have a freedom to read and to read a book you choose. People should choose weather or not of having books. We all have the choice to choose. Another thing is that if somebody reads too much, they couldn’t focus on homework or spend time with their family. It’s important to have a balance of activities so you have both things met.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 03:40 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 46

I personally do not like the banning of books. Ihe reason I don't is because it is like a violation of the right to freedom of speech because the author is talking through his book. However in the governments defence you have to draw a line somwhere. The question of where the line is however is not up to us to decide we can still protest the banning of books.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 04:30 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 50

Psrsonally, I think no book should be banned, every book has something to share, good or bad.

This has much to do wth freedom of speech because a book is your thoughts, your ideas, written down in text. We all have the choice to choose what to read, If you do not like a book, don't read it but there a re people there that will enjoy it. Books should NOT BE BANNED!!! Every American has the right to read anything the choose.

Article posted October 3, 2011 at 05:33 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 38

The idea of banning books shouldn't be necessary and this is why they shouldn't be banned. I feel like there shouldn’t be banned books because it’s mostly the reader’s choice to read the book or not. It’s just awful we have banned books. I think people should have freedom of speech, but they shouldn’t banned book unless if it's hurting the readers.

Article posted September 28, 2011 at 04:10 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 44

I think banning books is wrong because I absolutely love reading books! People should not ban any books in the classroom because, people like different types of books and well maybe they don’t like one type of genre so they won't like the other categories. Reading isn't my favorite thing to do but, they should definitely not ban any books.

Article posted October 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 46

I don't think that books should be banned. We should all have the option to read what we want to read. I personally don't like to read but I know how many people do enjoy it. Although when I do have to read, I like to choose. I don't want to have to read a book that bores me to sleep. While a person thinks a book is bad, another disagrees. That proves that many people have different opinions. If you don't like a book, just read another one. I mean just think about how awful it would be to have your favorite book be banned!  So I say no to books being banned but I like the idea of banned books week because it shows us all how lucky we are that we get to read the books we want to read.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 05:53 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 50

I think some books should be banned. Many books contain bad language that just shouldn't be used in books or otherwise. Some good books, like Huckleberry Finn, are good books, but often have bad words in them. Theme is also a problem. What if someone wrote a book about terrorists who bomb the White House. Mabey the book has a great plan of how to do it, something that would work. You can't just give people a fool-proof plan on how to kill the president. What if someone wrote about a new form of government that sounds appealing. New theories about how the USA should be run would rise. Despite the freedom of speach, some books should be banned. 

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 07:36 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 41

I think Banned Books Week is a great way to promote good books, as well as some basic rights and freedoms. I completely agree with the idea that everyone should be able to access all books, no matter what the topic. I hope the librarians nationwide continue to support Banned Books Week.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 03:05 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 58

I feel that Banned Books Week is not bad. It falls under the Freedom of Speech because people are just expressing their ideas, so they have the freedom to do that. I think that this is not exactly a bad thing, but again, some people may be agaist my opinion.  I guess that it depends on how the book is, then we could decide whether it should be banned or not. There are some books that should be banned just because some people could get bad ideas from it, while there are other books that they are perfect and there would be no harm in someone reading it.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 05:30 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 49

I feel very happy about banned book week, because it shows how lucky we our to have all that freedom. Freedom of speech falls into this because we the people are allowed to write or read whatever,whenever, we want. This is something that an individual has to choose. I don't think books should be banned because everyone should be able to read whatever they want.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 06:05 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 49

I say it shouldn't be legal to ban books. after all this country was created to allow freedom. However it probably would be a good idea to keep more... intense... books out of reach from younger kids. It might be a good idea to make it so have to go to a counter to get more adult books instead of just grabbing it off a shelf.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 02:16 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 43

Band Books Week has an impact on many people. Well I feel that this is offending the authors of the books because this is their creation that they are proud of and sure we aren't going to like some books but that doesn't mean we can just go and trash them or ban them. If people haven't noticed others might like these books. Yes we have our opinions which is where our freedom of speech comes in but don't take the books you don't like away especially if many people like the book or the books. I personally think books shouldn't be ban because you are taking someone’s chance to read a new book and maybe even like that book away from them. I also believe that we all have the choice to choose these are books coming out of our local libraries, our school libraries etc. So yes I believe that we all have a right to choose which books we like and dislike. Even though we choose what books we like and dislike does not mean we can take away a book from others who would like to read something new.

Article posted October 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM GMT-7 • comment (4) • Reads 54

I think that banning books is good and bad. Certain books are worth banning. There are some books that I would not be okay with banning, but reading really isn't my thing. Freedom of Speech does come into this because when authors right something, it's usually for a purpose or to express themselves. That is my view on Banned Books Week.

Article posted October 1, 2011 at 09:43 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

I think banned books week is good because we can celebrate the freedom of speech. When you want a book banned, you have to stick up for what you believe in and that’s were freedom of speech falls in. I think we all have the choice to choose what books we like and unlike in other countries the government chooses for the citizens. I don't think books should actually be banned. Just because you don't like a book doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like it too. Everyone has their own taste in books and we should respect that.

Article posted October 3, 2011 at 05:04 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 54

I am not very fond of books being banned. Freedom of speech falls into this because people have a right to say why and what things shouldn’t be legal or not open to others. I don’t think books should be banned. I think this because just because you don’t like the book or think it is bad for children, it does not mean others don’t like it. If the book is violent, maybe some kids like violent and crime stories. I think it is okay for them not to like the books.I think that they shouldn't be banned just because certain people dislike them.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 07:40 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 55

I have just been given a list of books from a reading teacher in Rode Island. Based on the list and the video on one of the links, some of those books would be banned and probably many others. The First Amendment allows us to read any book that we want and write anything we want. The Power of Speech fits into this because some people, I know I am one of them, speak their feelings in the books that they write. If we are not allowed to let those feelings be shown through writing or let are imaginations run wild, then we are in a box. I wouldn’t want to live in a box where thinking outside the box wasn’t allowed. Banned books week allows us to speak out. NO BOOK SHALL BE BANNED AND NO IMAGINATION SHALL BE LOCKED UP! that is my thoughts about banned books.

Article posted October 1, 2011 at 04:15 PM GMT-7 • comment (2) • Reads 45

I personally strongly dislike books but I don't think they should be banned. Every once in a while I stumble across a book worth reading. Books are also very important say a child is doing a school project and they need some information that is NOT from the internet, because the person who wrote on the internet could actually have no idea what they're talking about. So to conclude books can be helpful so they should NOT be banned.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 07:26 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 40

I think no book should be banned. I think that if a book is banned then it affects our freedom of speech. Everyone can read the book they like. While others may like that book to banned from school libraries, then it affects the bill of rights. We all have the choice to choose what books can be read and whether we like them or not. No book should be banned. I think many books are fabulous even though people ban them. My favorite book series is Harry Potter. My most favorite book from the series is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. No one shall ban this series from me!

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 04:29 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 53

Books should not be banned. I feel that people have a right to write what they want to write but I don’t think they should speak against a book unless it’s hurting someone else. We all have a choice to choose and certain people can choose not to read those books. Those people who choose not to read those books should not ban other people from reading them too. That is why I feel that books should not be banned.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 03:57 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 50

Wow all I can say is that is sad. Thank goodness that the first Amendment is there otherwise books could be banned!! Book should never be banned. That is a terrible thing to do. Freedom of speech allows you to say what you want about the book but not ban it! It is your choice what you read and that decision should never be taken away from any living being. That is my opinion on banning books!

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 04:34 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 49

I feel like that books should not be banned but, I think people should give their opinions about books as well.Where the freedom of speech falls into this is letting people speak freely about their opinions.I think we all have the choice to choose.Even though I don't agree with some of the books,they should not be banned because other people might want to read it and that is their choice.:)

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 07:05 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

Many books are banned for a reason. I believe that the reason why people ban books is because the knowledge that people read in book can bring fear and this comes to show that they don’t want to see the book ever again. People can read what they want to read but others can't make that decision for them.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 05:34 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 54

I think books definitely do not need to be banned. Freedom of speech falls into this because people have the right to say what they want to read. People also have the right to write what they want. In my opinion, we should all have the right to choose what we want to read because we are all free citizens and we have freedom of speech.

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 04:11 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 42

What? How on earth can two amendments work against each other? I think that it is sensible for people to speak up about books because they do not want their kids to read or hear about them. Maybe there is a way to find a compromise. The people who are in favor of banning the book could make sure they are not taking advantage of freedom of speech. That way the people who believe the book is just fine can make sure their kids don’t talk about it too much in school. BOOKS SHOUL NOT BE BANNED. It is something an individual can control. That way, we all can choose to read or not read; it does not take away a person’s right to read any book they want.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 04:45 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 47

I think that many of you can agree with me by saying it is wrong to ban books. I feel mad that the government would try to ban books due to their content. Even things like black magic! This is similar to freedom of speech just freedom to read, if we can say what we want what’s so wrong with reading what we want? I feel that we all have the choice to choose what we read because we live in a country all about independence. Certain books should not be banned from schools because they provide entertainment for kids and adults all around the world. Those are my thoughts on banned books.

Article posted September 28, 2011 at 04:21 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 45

I am half and half on this. I agree that some books should be banned, like adult books, but I also think that we have a right to read these books. I think that if a parent dosen't like a book, then don't let their kid read it. All the other kids in the school aren't their ,responsibility it's up to their parents if they can read those books or not. With freedom of speach in there, the parents are allowed to speak up and if the schools agree, then I belive that they can be banned if both the school and the parent agrees to.

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 04:09 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 47

I think that everyone has the right to read what they want. Of course people have the freedom to speak out their opinions of banning certain books, too. But really just because someone doesn’t like some content in a book, doesn’t mean that they have to ruin the chance of someone else reading the book. For instance if a person really liked Harry Potter, and then it got banned, how would they feel? It’s just like taking your freedom away a little at a time. I certainly do not support the banning of books in the United States.:)

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 07:56 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 44

I feel that this is very important. Also, it was very good of librarians, teachers, booksellers, and members of the community to retain the books in the library collections so now for a week kids can read any book they want to even if it was banned. Freedom of Speech falls into this when all sorts of people want a book and if it is banned then they can speak up and be able to look at that book. We all should have the choice to choose because everyone has a different perspective on books. I think that books should and should not be banned. Books should be banned because there might be very inappropriate books out in our world, but books should not be banned because one person might think that a book is really bad while another person might think that that book is very interesting. Also, a book might be appropriate for one, but not another. To sum up I think that the Banned Books Week is very good because it gives everyone a chance to read really anything.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 08:40 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 53

First of all, I believe that banning a book is a little bit harsh. I think that everyone enjoys different things. That same idea also fits into the category of different genres of books. So if not every book isn't the same, shouldn't each reader have their own choice of what to read? Freedom of speech fits into this subject by it also meaning that it is your choice of what you choose to do whether it's to read books with mystery's,comedy, or action. We all have the choice to choose because it would be weird if we saw everybody in the school reading the same books, and after awhile, you would probably want to read something new. In my opinion, some books should not be banned. But I do think that the appropriateness of some books are different from others. I think that instead of banning books, we should keep them only for certain ages.

Article posted October 3, 2011 at 04:18 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 45

I think books should not be banned, even books in different countries. The reason I think that is because kids in different countries won't have anything to read. They would get extremely bored. If books were banned we wouldn't have as much knowledge as we now have. If we didn't have knowledge we wouldn't have inventions that we have now like lightbulbs or cars. I think some books should be censored by an adult, but kids should still get to read whatever they want to. The first amendment gives us the freedom of speech, so not all books should be censored, but the not very appropriate books should at least have a parent's yes or no.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 110

I think people should be able to take books off school shelves but, people shouldn't be able to take books off public shelves. I think this because some books are not appropriate for schools but, they shouldn't be taken off public shelves. I believe this because people should be able to decide whether some thing is appropriate for them or not.

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 05:31 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 60

Books are "beast."I think how banned books fall in to the freedom of speech is because sometimes in books people have really strong opinions and a lot of people don't want to hear them out. I am super glad that we are able to read books, otherwise I would be so bored with nothing to do. I think that everyone should be happy for books because without them we wouldn't have very many resources for school and for people's jobs. I don't think that books should be banned because everyone needs books for different purposes. Hooray for books!

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 05:53 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 47

I think that books should not be banned and that people have the right to read what they want. There are books on the list of “banned” books that I don’t like or don’t want to read, but that doesn’t mean that others can’t read them. I think this has to do with freedom of speech because the author has the freedom to write what they please and the reader can read what they please. To sum up, I think books should not be banned.

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 06:01 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 57

I feel that banning books cuts off freedom to other people. Although it may reach your needs it cuts off others rights to read as they choose. Freedom of Speech falls into this because the authors are speaking through the page. If they cannot share their books with others then their freedom of speech is taken away. Sometimes books are to in appropriate and then it may be necessary to ban that book so kids are not reading in appropriate things. I think the banned books week is a good cause and it helps kids to understand the freedoms they are given in this country and how they get to choose everything they read.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 04:53 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 50

I think everyone should have the right to read what they want to read. At the same time, it depends on what people want to read. If you are reading a book that is appropriate and someone tells you not to read it, then that is wrong. But if it is an inappropriate book and you read it and someone tells you not to read it then it is reasonable for them to ask you not to read it. I think depends on what you are reading.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 06:41 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 42

I felt unsure because certain books should be banned from the school library and some shouldn't be banned from the school library. Freedom Of Speech falls into this because kids/people are giving their own opinions. It's a free world, we ALL have FOS (Freedom Of Speech). We have the choice to choose if we should band certain books. Certain books should be banned because if there is some kind of pictures that younger kids don't like to see, it could be offensive to them.

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 04:47 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 43

To Ban or Not To Ban?

I am a book person. I do not deny it. If someone were to pass a law to ban all bad books, which would probably include Harry Potter, I would die!   That would be the worst day of my life, because some people have different ideas of what a "bad" book looks like. They would most definitely ban Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and other really good reads that lots of people enjoy. I'd say that <