05/29/12
Snails!!!! 05/01/12
colored grass!! 05/01/12
Genetics 03/01/12
bacteria by james 02/06/12
Biomes! 09/30/11
7 Random Facts 09/29/11
Glog 05/21/10
force 05/05/10
answeres to our science questions 04/23/10

Water Pollution   

Water Pollution affects all life living around. It can kill the fish and other life in the water, it can contaminate plants, and limit the water supply for communities. Water pollution is either garbage or natural chemicals or substances that get into the water and make it undrinkable and unable to support

life.

How does Water Become Polluted?

Some sources of water pollution are litter, oil spills,

Factory waste, city sewage waste, ect. You can improve the state of a polluted body of water by picking up garbage, trying to fix the source of it, and cleaning out clearly contaminated water by removing it. To prevent water pollution you can recycle, educate others about prevention, and

Contain harmful liquids like oil. 

What are Nitrates?

Nitrate is a natural compound present in all ecosystems, It is essential to plant life but too much can be a problem for plants and animals.

For people, drinking too much nitrate can result in oxygen restriction in the bloodstream. Kids under 2 months cannot have enough enzyme to correct the condition. The max drinking level of nitrate is 10mg

Point and non-point Sources of pollution

A point source of pollution would be something like a

Sewage pipe flowing into a river or something else obvious and easy to fix. A  non-point source is less obvious. Like pollutants carried by runoff from a farm field, street, or construction site. Acid rain can also be a non point source. Pollution is absorbed into clouds and then is dumped into water with the rain.

How can we Reduce AND Prevent Nitrate

You can reduce nitrate levels by reducing the amount of fertilizer applied to fields and lawns . Tile drainage systems could be places deeper in the ground thereby reducing the chance of nitrate pollution. Fencing keeps livestock from flattening the vegetation around the cater courses of contaminating the water. When there are high nitrate levels in your water you should first, not drink it or use it. The less that gets in your house or your body the better. Second, warn others in your house or neighborhood about the problem so they don’t get sick and can help fix it. Last, you should try to find the source of the pollution like a leaking pipe or another source. If you can’t fix it yourself find others to help.

Conclusion 

Water is one of the most important parts of our world. All animals and humans rely on it to live in or survive. You should care for it by not polluting and trying to keep our water clean.    

Article posted October 28, 2009 at 04:03 PM • comment (3) • Reads 43 • see all articles