Copyright (c) 2014 by MHEL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHEL -- Blogmeister

MHEL

Class of 2012-2013

by MHEL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Module Math Letter
Dear Mom and Dad,

My class has just finished learning about module 1 in the textbook. In Module 1 we reviewed many subjects including the order of operations, bar and line graphs, and probability. Module 1 allowed us to re-enforce our knowledge about many basic subjects. During Module 1 we conducted many experiments so that we would have a firm understanding of various subjects.

The order of operations is a rule that allows us to organize complex math problems. When following the rules of the order of operations, this is the order in which you must solve the math problem, parenthesis – exponents – multiplication – division – addition – and subtraction. When you come across a math problem with either multiplication and division or addition and subtraction, it is important to solve the problem from left to right. We learned about the order of operations in class by evaluating various problems in the math textbook.

In the beginning of module 1 we learned about when to use a bar or line graph. It is important to use a bar graph when graphing data that can be divided into distinct categories. You have to use a line graph when the data changes over time. We learned about the different types of graphs by collecting and graphing information during class. We were also given a take home quiz where we had to find a graph, and analyze it. Knowing when to use a bar or line graph is very important.

Probability is a measurement used to predict the chance of something happening. There are two types of probability; theoretical, and experimental. Theoretical probability is the chance of something happening according to theory. Experimental probability is the chance of something happening according to your experiment. We learned about these subjects by finding the experimental and theoretical probability of many experiments, including flipping coins, tossing dice, and spinning a spinner. We used data tables to show our information.

Thank you for taking the time to read about what I have been learning about in math class!

Thanks Again,
LRAS
Article posted October 28, 2009 at 07:28 AM • comment • Reads 56 • Return to Blog List