HJGA

MODULE ONE

Dear parents, 10/22/09

I have been learning many important math facts throughout the last module in my math class. I will give you three examples of what I've been learning.

In the first few weeks of school, I reviewed bar graphs and line graphs. I also analyzed a graph to understand how a graph works a bit more. Each graph has a horizontal axis and a vertical axis. It is better to use a line graph if you have a lot of information. This is because with a line, it can go up and down quite easily. With a bar graph, you can only have so much information displayed because it would get all jumbled up, and you would run out of room. So if you have more information, you should use a line graph, and if you have not too much info you should use a bar graph. I analyzed a graph by taking a graph from a newspaper, and answering questions about why a line graph or bar graph was used. So basically I studied each part of a line and bar graph during this module.

I have learned more about probability throughout studying this module. I now know more about theoretical probability and experimental probability. The way that I have discovered this is by doing certain experiments and finding out the probability of each event. For example, I used a spinner to determine the theoretical and experimental probability of spinning each color on the spinner. Say there was the color red on the spinner, and it took up ¼ of the spinner. Then the theoretical probability of spinning red would be ¼. If I span the spinner 50 times, and only got red 35 times, the experimental probability would be 35/50 or 7/10. We also did an experiment with probability. What I did is I put 24 different colored skittles in a bag. I put in 6 yellow, 5 red, 4 green, 5 purple, and 5 oranges. I figured out the theoretical probability and the experimental probability of pulling out each color.

The most recent thing that I learned about was the order of operations, also known as PEMDAS. In the word PEMDAS, the P stands for parentheses, which means that any equation in parentheses would be done first, then the E stands for exponents, M is multiplication, D is division, A is addition, and S is subtraction. The way that we learned the order of operations was by practicing each day different problems involving the order of operations. Even though the order of operations was not new to me, I still learned even more about it than I have ever known.

In this first half of the first semester, I have learned so much already! This module has been great!

Sincerely,

CSMA

Article posted October 26, 2009 at 07:52 AM • comment • Reads 77 • Return to Blog List