WSRE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

What We Know about Planets

So far this year we have learned a lot about space. We now know our Space Address. In space there are the “Inner Planets.” They are Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. They are really close to the sun. One astronomical unit is 93,000,000 miles away from the sun. The next 4/5 planets if you count Pluto start stretching away from the sun. The planet that is the closest in size to us is Venus. The closest planet in size to our moon is Mercury. We are in the, “Milky Way” galaxy. The sun is 108 times larger than the Earth.

We learned how people knew the Earth was round. One reason was that when sailboats went over the horizon and knowing that there wasn't a crash, that's one reason. Or if there was a lunar eclipse and we could see the earth's shadow.

The fastest thing we know of is light speed. It is 186,000 miles per hour. If light could curve it could go around the earth 7 ½ times. We use it to measure large distances between stars.
Article posted September 24, 2009 at 08:51 AM • comment • Reads 52 • Return to Blog List