Copyright (c) 2014 by MH Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MH -- Blogmeister

Mary's aka Molly's Blog-

by MH teacher: Elise Mueller

You can enter the text of your blog here!

We colonists will not have any money left the way the British are setting down taxes on things. Their latest tax is on tea. The British fancied that the colonists would not deny themselves a nice cup of tea just because they had to pay a little more. What I’m sure that the British did not plan on was the colonists protesting in the way that they did.

A large mob of men dressed as Mohawk Indians swarmed angrily into the three tea bearing ships like flies to raw meat. Soon the air resounded with their angry song. They dumped huge chests of the tea into the water after splitting the wood with the small axes that they carried. I hear they call themselves the Sons of Liberty, judging by what their actions I would call them the Sons of Destruction.    
Article posted March 25, 2009 at 02:36 PM • comment • Reads 160 • Return to Blog List

Molly Pitcher/ Mary Hayes “An Artillery wife, Mary Hays McCauly (better known as Molly Pitcher) shared the rigors of Valley Forge with her husband, William Hays. Her actions during the battle of Monmouth on June 28, 1778 became legendary. That day at Monmouth was as hot as Valley Forge was cold. Someone had to cool the hot guns and bathe parched throats with water. of reach of hard-charging British. On her next trip with water, she found her artilleryman husband back with the guns again, replacing a casualty. While she watched, Hays fell wounded. The piece, its crew too depleted to serve it, was about to be withdrawn. Without hesitation, Molly stepped forward and took the rammer staff from her fallen husband’s hands. For the second time on an American battlefield, a woman manned a gun. (The first was Margaret Corbin during the defense of Fort Washington in 1776.) Resolutely, she stayed at her post in the face of heavy enemy fire, ably acting as a matross (gunner). For her heroic role, General Washington himself issued her a warrant as a noncommissioned officer. Thereafter, she was widely hailed as "Sergeant Molly." A flagstaff and cannon stand at her gravesite at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. A sculpture on the battle monument commemorates her courageous deed.” Found at: http://sill-www.army.mil/pao/pamolly.htm