Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Huzzah
Blogs by the Sea
Mr. Miller's Class Blog
Making Waves in 6th Grade
Broadbent Blues
Fascinating Phenology

In order for a buoyant force to be great enough to make an object float, does the object need to be less dense than water? If you think that yes, an object does have to be less dense than water to float, then how does a metal ship float? Explain that. How does a concrete boat float (remember the video we saw.) Please explain your answer by leaving me a comment.

(For those of you not from Chimacum who wish to add an answer or challenge something you read here are some of the resources we used: Density and Buoyancy Links.)

Article posted February 11, 2009 at 09:13 AM • comment (35) • Reads 88 • Return to Blog List

The object would have to be less dense the the water, otherwise the object would sink. Metal ships can float because they are less dense than the water and it would need to be either the same or less than the weight of however much water it displaces, to allow it to float.
Posted May 1, 2009 at 01:15 PM by • Morgan N
the object would definitely have to be less dense otherwise it would sink.
and a metal ship can float because they are less dense than the enitre ocean.
Posted May 1, 2009 at 01:14 PM by • maureen c
Hello,
This is not a comment for posting but I didn't know how else to contact you. Thank you for responding to Stargirl about her insensitive comment to one of your students. I hope you understand why I will not post your comment on her blog, as it is not appropriate there, either. I will , however, share it with her before deleting. Please contact me personally should you find anymore comments like this. This is how many other teachers and I deal with teaching our students how to comment more appropriately. It will also allow us to communicate. Last year, I had to send a similar message to another teacher and we started a blog buddy system with commenting. It was most beneficial. Perhaps, we can do something similar.
Thank you.
Lisa Parisi
South Paris Collaborative
collaborative@herricks.org
Posted April 24, 2009 at 07:42 PM by • Lisa Parisi
yes it has to be less dense then water. for an objectlike a metal or concrete boat to float it needs to weigh the same or less then the amount of the water it displaces
Posted March 18, 2009 at 01:10 PM by • cole
When something is more dense than water, it is negativly buoyant.
Posted March 16, 2009 at 09:24 PM by • erinb
Yes the item needs to be less dense than water and it also needs to weigh the same or less than the water it displaces and it will float.
Posted March 16, 2009 at 04:49 PM by • Caseys
Yes. A metal ship can float cause it displaces enough water to help it float and it also has the air inside to help it float
Posted March 12, 2009 at 01:33 PM by • kaleb l
Yeah, It has to be less dense then water. And a concrete or metal boat floats because its less dense then the water it displaces.
Posted March 11, 2009 at 05:34 PM by • Brittney
Yeahhh, i agree.
Thaat most things need to be less dense than water.

because if it were more dence thann the water it would sinkkkkkkkkk.

(:
Posted March 10, 2009 at 06:17 PM by • Kristinnnnnnn L
I agree with you because if an object is more dense than water it will sink
Posted March 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM by • Taylor H
In order for an object to float in water it's density must be less than water. Another way to float like what huge metal ships do is that they displace more water than they weigh. So that's why even concrete boats can float. Most ships use air to make the density of the boat less than water so that's why huge metal ships float but if there's a hole in them then the air is replaced by water and thus, the ship sinks because it becomes more dense than the water. That's why some wooden boats are hard to sink because wood is less dense than water so even if there's a hole in them it's still hard to sink. So metal ships float because they displace more water than they weigh and they're filled with air. Wooden boats float because they are less dense than the water.
Posted March 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM by • Daryl
yes...the boat has to be less dense than the water or it would sink of course. the boat also has air inside to help keep it afloat. Check out my blog! i changed it!