Copyright (c) 2014 by MF Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MF -- Blogmeister

PINK and more PINK!-

by MF teacher: Elise Mueller

Snow and More Snow

Snow and More Snow

When I woke up, thegrass was not green, the sky was not blue, and the streets outside were not their normal charcoal gray. Everything was white. White, white, white. “Late start today!” my mom hollered from the kitchen. “Good.” I thought. “That will give me enough time to sled down the hill for a while with at least an hour to spare. The time passed quickly though. Soon, my friend Ali was knocking on the door, ready to go to school. Immediately, we started chatting about how much we loved the snow and how e should go sledding with each other tomorrow, etcetera. But then, our conversation started to sway onto a different topic- What if it snowed more? What if we had to get out of school early? Even worse, what if we had to stay in school overnight because the doors were blocked? “We could climb out the windows.” I suggested. “ Then, we would have to dig a tunnel through the snow until we reached the nearest house!” She added excitedly. “ And we would have to swing on the tree branches and go in the chimney and then…” Our voices started piling on top of each other like pancakes. Eventually, we just started laughing. “That would never happen anyway though.” I said sadly. But little did I know that I was very wrong.

Soon, we were on the sidewalk right in front of school. And at that very second, the bell shrieked loudly in our ears as normal, and we started rushing to the portables-as normal. Though not everything about the school day was perfectly normal. In our first class, it was snowing just as hard as it had been on the walk. In our second class, (literacy) the snow started pouring quite a bit harder. Our teacher was no longer easily able to push the door open; it took some effort from at least seven or so students. By our science class, the door was blocked so much that schools in many locations and ours had to declare State of Emergency, something that was only used in a real crisis. This meant that everyone had to leave school early. Ali and I glanced at each other. We both had mischievous grins on our faces. I whipped my head away to stop from laughing. “In a moment,” our teacher said, her face as expressionless and grave as a stone, “A machine will come to clear the walkway and we will evacuate the building. We must all wait in the gym for parents to come.” Just then, the buzz of the machine came to the doorway, and we pushed it open. Our shivering class walked to the gym and sat, and sat and sat until our parents came. When my mom finally came, my heart stopped beating, just a little. We had to walk home because we would just slip right down the hill by our house if we even tried to drive. Luckily, the streets were cleared, but we were still knee high in snow.

The next morning was even worse. Nobody dared step outside his or her front door, if it was even possible. When you walked back in, your head would be an 8-9 ft. chunk of ice/snow. That’s how bad it was. No school, of course. As soon as I saw that our windows were entirely covered, I knew I just had to call Ali. The first words I said were, “ I was very wrong about our plan and that it would never happen!” She said, “ Guess what! My dad is digging a tunnel through the snow, just like we said would happen!”   “That’s weird, because so is mine!!” Now that was just bizarre. First of all, we had gotten out of school early as we had planned would happen, and now both of our dads were digging tunnels through the snow-as we had said on our walk. But, we both figured it was just a coincidence, and hung up. But walking away, I began to think that it was more than a coincidence.

Over the night, Most of the snow had melted. My mom said it was just a short cold spell, which was normal. We could push the door open using only a bit of extra effort, and best of all, play in the snow that was left, which was still a lot. I gladly invited some friends over, and we built an enormous snow fort. We used snow shovels and our bounty of sleds to pack it down. With all of the running back and forth getting heaps of snow, we didn’t get too cold, but just cold enough that we needed hot chocolate. Besides that though, it was solid work for two hours. The walls grew at least 3 ½ feet before the bulk of the people left!

Throughout all of the winter breaks I experienced in my life, we’ve had a couple light dustings of snow, but this was definitely the biggest and best of all.