Lucas' Music Blog

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

teacher: Dale Witte

My hymn for Chapel is Hymn 9 "Jesus, Your Church with Longing Eyes."  In this hymn, I have an introduction and three verses.  The Introduction is the second half of the hymn played by an organ.  I doubled the soprano and bass lines an octave higher and lower, respectively.  The first verse uses the woodwind family with a flute and piccolo playing the soprano an octave higher, oboe on alto, clarinet on tenor and bass, and bassoon on bass an octave lower.  The second verse is played by the brass family with a trumpet on soprano, French horn on alto, trombone on tenor, and tuba on bass which is doubled an octave lower.  In this verse, soprano starts by itself, alto comes in on the second line, tenor on the third line, and bass on the last line.  The last verse has strings, with woodwind and brass to help accent it.  The soprano is played by violin, which is doubled, and trumpet, alto by viola and oboe, tenor by viola and clarinet, and bass by cello and double bass and tuba an octave lower.  The hymn worked well in chapel.  The only things I didn't like about it was it was a tad fast, the soprano could have been brought out a little more, and the start of verse 2 should have come out a bit stronger.