Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

What makes a scale major?

The Major Scale: W W H W W W H

What does this mean?

This is the pattern of whole and half steps that makes up a major scale. In other words, if you want to make a major scale starting on C, you'd have to calculate whole and half steps up from C on a piano keyboard, like this:

Start on C. The next note needs to be a WHOLE STEP up. A whole step on a piano keyboard always has another note (either black or white) in between. So, a whole step up from C is D (the next white key) because there is a black key (C#/Db) in between. Whole steps ALWAYS have a note in between.

From D, go up one more WHOLE STEP (remember to skip a note in between!). The third note of the C Major scale is E (because D#/Eb is in between).

From E, go up a HALF STEP. A half step on a piano keyboard is any two adjacent notes (in other words, any two keys which touch each other are adjacent). Therefore, F is a half step up from E.

Going up from F you need another WHOLE STEP. Skipping F#/Gb in between you get G, then A (another WHOLE STEP), then B (another WHOLE STEP). Finally, the major scale is topped off with one more HALF STEP. That's from B to C (there's no other note in between). So, the pattern of whole and half steps for ANY major scale is: W W H W W W H.

Need more practice?  Go to Ricci Adam's musictheory.net for lessons on Steps and Accidentals and the Major Scale, and a cool Scale Ear Trainer (click off everything except natural minor and major to start easily).

By the way, some people think of the pattern of whole and half steps in the major scale in a different way, numbering each note in the scale 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.  Then they just think "Where are the half steps?"  The answer is "Between 3 & 4 and 7 & 8".  It's less to remember!!!

Article posted October 7, 2008 at 10:51 AM • comment • Reads 123 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page