Copyright (c) 2014 by Katherine Larison Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Katherine Larison -- Blogmeister

Captain Larison's Blog

Missouri Military Academy

My classroom is the library.

by Katherine Larison

Coehlo's official site
Ishmael Beah
Sherman Alexie
Chief Joseph
M. T. Anderson
Paolini
Elizabeth Knox
Geraldine McCaughrean
Jay Asher
Danger's Hour
Neal Shusterman
Walter Dean Myers
Kristin Cashore
Jo Graham
Roland Smith
Siobhan Dowd
Neil Gaiman
Patrick Rothfuss
Suzanne Collins
Sally Gardner
Lois Lowry
Chaim Potok
Darren Shan
Cinda Williams Chima
Brian Katcher
Stephen Ambrose
Michael Grant
Patrick Ness
Nancy Farmer
N. K. Jemisin
Jeff Stone
J. K. Rowling
Paolo Bacigalupi
Emma Clayton
Jennifer Brown
K. L Going
Matt de la Pena
Richard Preston
Scott Westerfeld
David Benioff
Ron Kovic
Lisa McMann
George Martin
I Am Number Four
Tamora Pierce
Andrew Scott Card
Matthew Brzezinski
Marie Lu
Veronica Roth
Elspeth Cooper
Melba Pattillo Beals
Wendelin Van Draanen
Alan Averill
Jerry McGill
Daniel H. Wilson
John Green
Christina Baker Kline
Laini Taylor
Deb Taber

The Alchemist

“To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation,” states Paulo Coelho in The Alchemist. This book really makes me think about people who never give up on their dream. Santiago is the protagonist in this book. Santiago is a shepherd who did not want to be a priest. A gypsy tells him his fortune and he decides to follow his destiny. He meets many people and learns many lessons. Santiago follows his dream and fulfills it.

Coelho has one of his characters, the alchemist; quote the New Testament, “My Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. But only speak a word and my servant will be healed.” The alchemist is the last major character introduced in the book, and he tells Santiago the story of a man who had two sons: a poet and a Roman centurion. The New Testament quote is from the centurion. It is amazing how Coelho weaves his story to include this story from the New Testament.

React to Coelho’s philosophy. Is it important to follow our dreams and listen to our hearts?
Article posted September 7, 2008 at 04:10 PM • comment • Reads 66 • Return to Blog List

High School
Middle School

I am the Library Media Specialist for a private boarding school in Mexico, Missouri.