RockYou FXText
-

by teacher: Professor McGonagall

“no Taxation without Representation”

By: Goldilocks

King Charles granted a charter to Connecticut colonies giving colonists the right to make our own laws (Speare, 70). Assemblies elected by the colonists made laws, set taxes, and raised companies of troops called militia to defend the colonies. (Carter,8). In 1687, King James wanted parliament to make laws for the colonists.(Speare,70). In 1765,parliament and the king could still make laws for colonists living in America. The King needed money to pay for the French and Indian War so he made laws for colonists (Harcourt, 266).

The king started the Sugar Act on 1764 (Harcourt, 272). “This tariff angered colonists. But what bothered them most was they had had no part in making this tax law.”(Harcourt, 272). The kind and British Parliament all had a say in the passing laws. Unlike other British citizens, the colonists could not elect lawmakers…but parliament was quick to remind colonists they were still British subjects (Harcourt, 263).

The stamp act was another blow to the colonists had been practicing self-government, separate from the king, for years (Harcourt, 263). They collected their own taxes to pay for services in the colonies. The stamp act of 1765 was another attempt by parliament to get the colonists to help pay the war debt. “The tax law angered people in the colonies.”(January, 6). The stamp act required colonists to pay for a stamp (to show that they pay the tax) on all paper like newspaper, mail, and letters for mail.

Parliament added theses new laws for the colonists (Harcourt, 277). The stamp act congress met to get the act repealed. Patriot James Otis said the famous words that changed history,” No taxation without representation!!” (Harcourt, 274). These British laws were directly against the democratic ideals of self-government the colonists had been practicing for 100 years.

The colonists did not get to elect representatives into British Parliament. They did not have any say in the tax laws they were forced to pay. The king made a third law that really angered the colonists, the tax on tea, 1773.

The colonists believed in democracy (Harcourt, 263). The colonists were not represented in British parliament and believed the only way to ensure their rights were to fight for themselves! The colonists were British citizens living in America. When their rights were being destroyed by the sugar act, stamp act, and the tax on tea, they appealed to the king and parliament. When that didn’t work they protested. “Congress sent an appeal for peace and harmony to king George that parliament all the unconstitutional laws controlling America.” (Schanzer, 27). Eventually, the rally cry of “no taxation without representation” would lead the colonists to fight for their freedom. The colonists wanted a true representative government.

In 1776, in the revolutionary war, British colonists fight Britain for their right to become American citizens and truly be FREE=http://

These are my refrences:

References

Carter, Alden. The American Revolution. New York: Franklin Watts, 1992.

Harcourt Brace. We the People; Early United States. Orlando: Harcourt Brace and company, 2000.

January, Brendan. The Revolutionary War. New York: Children’s press, 2000.

Maestro, Betsey. Liberty Or Death; The American Revolution 1763-1783. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 2005

Schanzer, Rosalyn. George vs. George: The American Revolution as seen from both sides. Washington D.C: Notional Geographic, 2000.

Spear , Elizabeth George. The Witch of Blackbird Pond. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group,Inc, 1958.

Sincerely,
Goldilocks :)