Copyright (c) 2014 by Shaun Fletcher Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Shaun Fletcher -- Blogmeister

Writing, Reflecting,Sharing, Producing and Questioning

by Shaun Fletcher

What the big deal with using plastic bags
Are Plastic Bags Sacking the Environment
NB Forests
Paper Products Association
Greenhouses Gases by Country and Avg Emissions Per Person
Inconvenient Truth
Fight Global Warming: Hang a Clothesline
Environmental Blog-Shocking
Chapter 8"Story of Stuff" by HS students
Stuff Music Video
Official Story of Stuff Video
Uranium Mining Resources
Images for Blog Articles
Instructions on how to add images to your blog
Blogs to read and comment on
Article on Uranium Mining
Article2 Uranium in NB
Information bullentin from NB government
Article3 Uranium
Article4 Uranium
Australian Class Blog to read and comment
MS students blog about sustainability in New Hampshire
Boy Games
Dating Games
Parking Games
iCarly Games

The people of the province of New Brunswick are having a heated debate on the issue of Uranium exploration and mining in the province. I have added several links to the side menu for you to read and explore.( the articles represent a one-sided point of view) When I searched for reasons to support the uranium exploration in the the province I could find little, however the government seems to be supporting the exploration for uranium and the potential for mines. The argument for the uranium mining is MONEY and JOBS. I highly encourage you to do some searching on your own after reading the article to find out answers to any questions you might have. The government of NB (DNR) is holding information sessions in Fredericton and Moncton at the beginning of next month to address these issues and concerns.

Do you believe short term benefits of jobs and money for the people of NB outweigh the potential long-term environmental disaster? Use the articles or other sources to back up your argument. What effect could drilling have on the local watershed.

Use the double click option to get definitions for any words you are unsure of.

You may write your response in the form of a letter to the Minister of Natural Resources and Mining and the premier OR a letter to persuade your fellow New Brunswickers to act to either support or reject the possibilities of uranium mining on our land. Be sure to use facts to back up what you are saying.

Photo by mobiltom
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
Article posted May 13, 2008 at 08:14 PM • comment (6) • Reads 131 • Return to Blog List

me again. sorry. If you have the chance to, then please check "author's note" in "the radioactive boy scout" paperback. 4 small pages about nuclear power and the cost related (not talking about the risk at all). The book itself contains a lot more information - In my opinion even to much on how you actually build a reactor.
Posted August 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM by • mobiltom.de
maybe I get famous with my photo used here. It's quite interesting, that UMTRA has so close connection to a similar institution in the former socialist part of germany.
Such a nice area in Utah and they simply destroy it with mining for Uranium ... Have you seen oilfile-exploration? And what it does to the nature? Nothing different with uranium mining - besides you can't see the contamination. Thanks to the bush-nominated Michael Leavitt (EPA): "To me there is an inherent human responsibility to care for the earth. But there's also an economic imperative that we're dealing with in a global economy to do it less expensively." Very scary!!!!
Posted August 14, 2008 at 12:36 PM by • mobiltom.de
Wow. This is a great blog and you have chosen a very interesting topic to talk about. Great Job!
Posted June 3, 2008 at 11:04 AM by • vcs.student@gmail.com
I really agree with what you said here. I believe that green technology is the way to go. it is the saest way to live
Posted May 30, 2008 at 02:47 PM by • Joe
I personally am a firm believer in green technology. I would not risk the environment because uranium is a terrible resource, when it affects the environment. I would not risk it.
Posted May 28, 2008 at 03:24 PM by • Elliott
I think that mining in the province for uranium can be botb benficial and and alos disatrous.
i think it could be disatrouse becasue When you mine you have to use explosives, and that can cause a shortsge of power or enviornmental health problems, becasue debree will fall out ino the sky and intoxicate the air.
But then on the other hand, the Uranium found can be very rescourful to help out society
Posted May 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM by • manuel

Grade 8
Grade6
Grade7