Copyright (c) 2014 by Marilyn O Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Marilyn O -- Blogmeister

5th period Academic Biology

Thoughts and activities here in my Academic Biology, Science for Living and Science 9 classes in a small rural High School in the Weather Capital of the World (Punxsutawney, PA).

by Marilyn O

teacher: Louise Maine

I have learned some new information from actually watching commercials. When I was watching the commercials I learned that even though they aren't personally there they are getting you to buy their items or products. They do this by hooking you into the commercial with a snazy line. They also use music that is related to their subject and the appropriate age of child or adult. They do this so the viewer aka you will feel like they are talking to you or related to you in some way. Some commercials can be good but a lot of them just want to sell there stuff so they make money. These are the new things I learned about commercials.
Article posted March 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM • comment (7) • Reads 147 • Return to Blog List

Class Password: Students, please ask your teacher if you should use your name or a pseudonym.

Good job Marilyn, you did a good job explaining what you found, and i can completely agree with how the person talking is trying to make it feel like they are talking directly to you. good job.
Posted March 24, 2008 at 02:34 PM by • Maddison Kernich
Nice job Mar! I liked that you said about the music is related to the product. I'll have to check that out. I also liked how you put how you thought they were hooking us into their product and why they were! nice job
Posted March 24, 2008 at 09:50 AM by • jenna m
Nice job marilyn. You explained everything well and got your point across. I liked how you said that the music is related to the subject. I never really thought about it like that. It was also good that you said the commercial speaks directly to you.
Posted March 17, 2008 at 07:02 PM by • Tyler P
great job marilyn...you did good explaining how the commercials work...what about visual fx dont they work in a way as well to reel you in?
Posted March 15, 2008 at 06:34 PM by • sam
I liked how you said that it seems like the person on the tv is relating and acting like they are talking to you and you only. That was good. You did a good job.
Posted March 14, 2008 at 11:27 AM by • Shayna Lyle
Marilyn,

Nice article. I really liked that you explained how the commercial make a person feel (your being spoken to) rather than just saying that the commercial wants you to buy something. Of course the commercial does want you to buy something but its how they say it that's important.
Posted March 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM by • Danielle Pascuzzo
I like how you said that the commercial seems to be speaking directly to you. In all the posts so far, no one really pointed that out. Do you think no one really noticed how personal commercials are because we are all used to being talked to directly? Or is it because nearly every commercial uses that ploy in advertising?
Posted March 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM by • Corban C