Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Cutting Music for Commercials
How long is a commercial? 30 seconds? 60? Listen to commercials on tv and you will hear a lot of familiar music. One that caught my ear recently is the new Gatorade commercial with "that music from the Olympics" in it. (psst....it's called O Fortuna. It's by the composer Carl Orff. It's the first movement in his major work Carmina Burana). I don't know why, but the sports world seems to love that piece of music. (Countless others do too. Just check out all the remixes and concert performances of O Fortuna on YouTube.)

That commercial and others like it got me thinking about a new project for Music Tech class: cutting music for commercials. If you listen to the Gatorade commercial and to the original song, you can hear how much of the piece was cut and which parts were used in the commercial. It's enough to get the feel of the piece and yet it still delivers the emotional impact. (I love how the hits of the music and the hits of the video match!)

The first part of this project is to identify commercials which use cut music. Try to find two or three. Then comment to this blog entry with links to those commercials so that the whole class can look and listen to them. If you can, identify the piece of music in the commercials you pick and who the artist is.

The second part of the project is to pick one of those commercials and a new piece of music to cut to the same commercial. Try to match hits in the music with hits in the video. You'll do the cutting in Audacity. You'll supply your own piece of music. We'll use iMovie to combine the video and your new audio.

Article posted January 28, 2008 at 01:28 AM • comment (18) • Reads 42 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page