Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Cutting Music in Audacity

Each semester I start with a project in which we take a full length song and cut it down to around 30 seconds. The program that we use to do this at first is Audacity, which is a free (emphasis on FREE!), cross-platform audio editor and recorder. The reason I teach my students how to use Audacity is because they can download the same program on their home computers and either do class work at home or they can use it for other audio projects.

One of my students told me yesterday that he was going to be out for a couple of days while his wisdom teeth were pulled. So, I told him I'd write a blog about our Audacity project so he'd be able to keep up on his Music Tech work while recovering at home. Erik, this one's for you!
  1. Download and install Audacity.
  2. Download JV CWCC Camp Music.aif and Dance Project 1.doc from my website.
  3. Follow the instructions on the Dance Project 1 document starting at #3.
  4. After finishing the project and exporting the file as a WAV, email it to me so I can check your work.
Why do I teach this lesson? It started out as a way to lighten my work load around homecoming time. Many times the dance team or the cheerleaders would come to me asking for my help in putting the music together for their homecoming routines. I'd spend many hours doing this work, sometimes changing the cuts ten or more times right up until the performance. So, I wanted my Music Tech students to know how to manipulate audio so they could do this work for me.

Now that I've taught this lesson for a couple of years, I'm starting to see other applications of cutting audio. Listen to the background music in commercials. Many times you will recognize the piece of music, but it has been cut down to 30 seconds or less to fit the time slot of the commercial. That's going to be the next adaptation of this lesson: Cutting Music for Commercials.

Article posted January 23, 2008 at 12:46 PM • comment • Reads 56 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page