Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Chip Tunes (Jan. 08, p. 42)

BLOG DUE: 1/23 Blk. 6

Musicians who go by the names of Bacalao, Glomag, Nullsleep, Covox, and many others have created a new electronic music subgenre using parts from old video games to make new musical instruments. In addition to describing this music, this article highlights the way people employ "alternative" objects for musical uses, and it also discusses recording techniques like sequencing.

Q1. How are electronic games adapted into musical instruments?

Q2. How are the musicians in the 8-bit subgenre like the early pioneers of electronic music?

Q3. How does a sequencer work?

Suggested Listening:
Various Artists: 8-bit Operators: The Music of Kraftwerk Performed on Vintage 8-bit Video Game Systems (Astralwerks)
Kraftwerk: Autobahn (Philips)
Anamanaguchi: Power Supply (8-bit Peoples)

Websites:
micromusic.net (just let this music play in the background as you work)
Little Sound DJ How to turn a GameBoy into a musical instrument
Little Sound DJ Artists on the Web
Little Sound DJ Workshop
Nanoloop Real-time sound editor for Game Boy
8bitcollective.org Online Chiptune Media Sharing
8-Bit Operators interview on National Public Radio
8-Bit Operators

Article posted January 21, 2008 at 07:42 PM • comment • Reads 38 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page