Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. D -- Blogmeister

-

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by Mr. D

Adding Images to Your Page
Use clip art in your blog
What's your Learning Style?
Canadian History Museum
Bubbleshare
Moviemaker
Collaboration Nation-A Middle School Blog
Learning Area 20
Snappoll---create a survey for your blog
Doodle: Easy Scheduling---create a poll for you and your friends
What should I read?---Good site to help you choose a book to read
Concrete Poem creator
Diamante Poem creator

I hope that this blog finds you enjoying a peaceful, friends and family filled two-week break.

When we think about New Year's Eve, aside from ringing in the New Year, traditionally it has been a time for looking back upon the last year, and looking forward to the upcoming year. Many people around the world take it upon themselves to come up with New Year’s Resolutions. Many adults, choose to quit smoking, eat healthier, go to the gym more often, visit family, eliminate chocolate from their diet and so on and so on, but as teens, you should also be thinking about some of your resolutions for this new year.

I am sure that many of you will incorporate our class goal of a 5-10% increase in your overall report card average; but what other resolutions do you have for yourself?

Check these out, many may apply to you. Just add I will at the beginning of these resolutions and they become yours.

……….try something new, whether it is sewing, ice skating or golf. Kids, just like adults, can get into ruts, doing the same things again and again just because they are familiar. Stretch yourself. Take a challenge. You may find you love your new hobby and gain a completely new group of friends.

……….read, just for fun.
Don’t read just because you have to. Pick up a book and let yourself be thrown into the mix of it.

……….save the planet.
Take charge of the family's recycling, making sure that whatever can be recycled makes it to the big blue bin. Harass your parents into buying low-energy light bulbs and carpooling to work. Plant a tree. Take a reusable plastic water bottle to school in your backpack.

……….give a little.
Kids can do amazing things when it comes to community service, whether through a basketball tournament, Read-a-Thon, or food drive.

……….not be a bystander.
Bullying is such a serious problem at schools that you can't watch someone being taunted or pushed around and not do anything about it. You do not have to confront the bully yourself. Tell an adult as soon as possible. Someone may do the same to help you one day.

……….slow down. You are in such a hurry to grow up, casting aside your toys at an earlier age in favour of electronics - video games, cell phones, and computers. There is plenty of time to be a grownup and only a short time to be a kid. So play with your friends. Turn cartwheels in the yard. Watch cartoons. Be silly.

……….eat at least one fruit and one vegetable every day, and limit the amount of pop I drink. Doing this, you are providing yourself with a healthy lifestyle that will help in preventing in all sorts of ailments.

……….take care of my body through physical activity and nutrition. Remember, you have to look out for number one…you!

……….take a break and find constructive ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or discussing a problem with a parent or friend. There is always someone out there that you can talk to. We all need a helping hand every once in awhile, even if it’s just someone to listen.

……….talk with a trusted adult when I notice my friends are struggling or engaging in risky behaviours that can negatively affect them. Sometimes, as much as you may want to help a friend, you may not have all the resources to do so. Talking to a trusted adult such as a teacher you get along with, can make all the difference in helping out your friends.

……….eat with my family. Homework, music lessons, and hockey practice keep kids so busy that it is sometimes hard to round up the entire family for a meal. But research shows that kids in families that often eat together have lower rates of smoking, drinking, and illegal drug use and better grades. Plus, family meals are a good time to get mom and dad's undivided attention.

……….play outside more often.
You, as a child of the digital age, have become alienated from the natural world, much to your detriment. All sorts of studies show that being in nature reduces stress, sharpens concentration, and promotes creative thinking.

Wow...pretty heady stuff huh?

Why don't you let us know in your blog what New Year’s resolutions you are thinking of for 2008.

Article posted December 28, 2007 at 01:04 AM • comment (1) • Reads 123 • see all articles

72
81
82
Alumni 08

Locations of visitors to this page You've been marked on my visitor map! Clicky Web Analytics

Clicky

Website Hit Counters
Website Hit Counter