Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Smith's Class Blog
A Look at Books
Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog
Chemistry Blogs!
LMS Theodocion
Harbor 8

DOPA Still Alive?
After the House of Representatives passed the Deleting Online Predators Act of 2006 or DOPA for short, people were afraid it might become law. If this act would have become a law it would have required schools and libraries that receive federal aid to block any website where children can be harmed by online predators. Here's a quote from an online discussion, "The law is so broadly defined that it would limit access to any commercial site that allows users to create a profile and communicate with strangers. This legislation is targeting MySpace, but it would also block numerous other sites, including blogging tools, mailing lists, video and podcast sites, photo sharing sites, and educational sites like NeoPets." Discussion: MySpace and DOPA

The good news is that the DOPA 2006 didn't pass through the Senate! It's gone!! Or is it? The latest news is that people are trying to re-write the act to get it passed into law again. They just won't quit, and people are calling this new act DOPA Jr. Read about it here.

In this class we are using Class Blogmeister. I moderate it and wouldn't allow strangers to post on our blog, yet it would have to be blocked under the DOPA 2006 or the new DOPA Jr. if they don't fix that part. We wouldn't be able to add our knowledge to wiki's from a school or library because other people could read it. What are your thoughts on this?