This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #9 06/09/12
Blog #7 06/01/12
Blog #8 05/21/12
Blog #6 04/12/12
Blog #5 04/02/12
Blog #4 03/18/12
Blog #3 03/18/12
READING BLOG 03/01/12
blog #1 02/23/12
02/16/12

I think I have learned and gained quite a bit and it's definitely been a positive experience. How can you not learn when you are constantly practising and challenging your writing skills on a weekly basis? So, even though the work can sometimes be a little overwhelming, I think it's been a very rewarding experience. As for what I liked in particular about the course, there are a few things that stick out. The friendliness of the staff at McLeod Educational Centre were excellent, very attentive, and helpful. They made me feel really comfortable and I appreciate that. I also enjoyed the group work we did in class and our class discussions. The group work and class discussions were fun, engaging, and very enlightening. I felt that I learned a lot and got a lot of use from them. As for what I felt could have been improved, the course outline was good, but I felt that the toughness and skill level didn't progress as evenly or proportionally enough through some segments of the course (in particular, our major research paper). I felt the first part of the semester was actually a little bit too easy where I was not feeling challenged enough. Then ironically near the end of the course, our Major Research Essay on Media with MLA styles citations assignment seemed to be a little bit too difficult of a leap in only one semester. I learned a lot and enjoy a challenge, but for whatever reason I didn't feel prepared enough for this large assignment. Maybe next time an introduction and use of MLA citation on one of the minor assignments before we get to the major research essay would make the transition a little easier.

In conclusion, aside from that minor concern, the course was enjoyable and did meet my expectations. I definitely feel I have surpassed my goals for my first class at this school and have no regrets. Thanks again for your great help in this interesting journey and I look forward to seeing you and my classmates again soon!
Article posted June 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM • comment • Reads 167 • Return to Blog List