Copyright (c) 2014 by Emily B Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Emily B -- Blogmeister

Emily and the Wierd Things She Likes (With Whatever Else Miss Transsue assigns me)

class 2015

by Emily B

teacher: Melanie Transue

www.animelyrics.com/doujin/vocaloid/romeocinderella.htm <-The translated lyrics I used for this and an imbed of the song.  Warning- the song... isn't exactly school appropriate, and I'll just leave it at that.

Dozens of songs make reference to the story of Romeo and Juliet, one of the most famous love stories of all time.  One such song, with fairly accurate references as well as references to various fairytales, is "Romeo and Cinderella" by Doriko ft. Miku Hatsune (yes, more Vocaloid.  I think you were all expecting that though).

The story of Romeo and Juliet is a consistent metaphor in the song “Romeo and Cinderella”.  In the song, the narrator compares themselves and their significant other to Romeo and Juliet (one line translates to “I'm the ‘Juliet who likes to run away’” and another set of lines translates to “Just take me away, oh my Romeo, /To afar, until they scold us”) because their “love” (which seems to be more lust) is forbidden by the narrators parents (“But papa doesn't seem to like you that much”), but wishes for a more happy ending like Cinderella got (the first half of the first chorus is “The Cinderella that yearned for love all this time /Begins to run with just her dress/ The magic shall stop the time/ Or else the bad guys might get in our way”).

In addition to being consistent, the comparison the narrator of “Romeo and Cinderella” makes between their own life and the story of Romeo and Juliet is also fairly accurate. Like Juliet, they are in love (or, quite possibly, in lust) with someone their family doesn’t approve of, which is the main thing that leads to their problem, is moving too fast in their relationship (the last line of the first chorus is “Hey, won't you come live with me?”), and suffers because of it (the last five lines are “The Cinderella that had lied too much/ Is said to have been eaten by the Wolf/ What should I do? At this rate, even I/ Will be eaten someday/ Before that happens, come to my rescue, 'kay?”).

In conclusion, the allusions to Romeo and Juliet in the song “Romeo and Cinderella” are very accurate and fitting to the story.