Copyright (c) 2014 by Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher -- Blogmeister

Write On!

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Our City
Our School District
Our School
Our Classroom Wiki
Our Classroom Bookmarks
Mr. Milloy's Class Weblog, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Mr. Ahlness' Class Weblog, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
Mr. Smith's Class Weblog, Hannibal, Missouri U.S.A.
Mr. Meyer's Class Weblog, Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
Melville Intermediate School Weblog, Hamilton, New Zealand
Mr. Johnston's Class Weblog, Glasgow, Scotland
Mamaroneck Avenue School Weblog, Mamaroneck, New York, U.S.A.
Our Good Reads
Solar System Games
Youth Group Games

Hello Families! We are in for a short week at school and then an awesome trip to St. Paul to the Minnesota History Center and the Science Museum of Minnesota. We are still in need of chaperones that are willing to come on this great adventure. Please call, e-mail or send a note if you are interested and I will get back to you. We also need ALL permission forms returned ASAP. Thanks for reminding your student about the importance of “keeping their head in the game” this close to the end of the year. May is such a great time of celebration to the end of the school year but learning continues and should throughout the summer. We have so many amazing readers in this classroom that exceeded their goal in books this year. I hope all the fantastic reading continues until the next school year starts! As always, thanks for what you do and please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Grade 5 Students

Jay and Jack-Pacific

My name is Jay Monson and I started teaching elementary school in the Mankato Public Schools in 1994. There I taught grades 2, 4, and 6. I moved north to Duluth in 1999 and have since taught grades 4, 5, 3-5 Title I Reading and Math, and K-6 Technology Integration.

My formal education includes a Bachelors of Science (Teaching) degree from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 1994 and a Masters of Education degree with a concentration in Educational Computing and Technology from University of Minnesota, Duluth in 2004. I have also been trained and trained others in teaching gifted and talented students, technology integration strategies, classroom management philosophies such as Responsive Classroom and Judicious Discipline, math and reading remediation methods, and various curricular area pilot programs.

I enjoy backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and running the roads and trails of Northern Minnesota and the U.S. On any given day you may find me on the Superior Hiking Trail, on Lake Superior, or hanging out in the woods with my wife and Nettleton kindergarten teacher, Sara, and our chocolate lab, Jack.

I fell in love with blogging and the opportunities it offers to kids. I enjoy using technology to write, share, and communicate. I currently hang out with creative fifth grade kids as we learn to become peaceful, productive citizens of our world community.

Our students follow a technology acceptable use policy and sign a blogger contract. If you have any questions or comments please e-mail me at: Jay.Monson@duluth.k12.mn.us.

Click for Duluth, Minnesota Forecast