Abby's Astounding Geometry Blog!-

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

by teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Wow!  That weekend went by fast! Between homework, projects, soccer, track, and the dance, it feels like I should have one more day of controlled chaos before the school week begins.

It’s even harder to believe that we are already one week into the month of May.  All the college students are coming home, and my brother’s gearing up for his AP exams.  April flew by in the blink of an eye!  It’s especially hard to stay motivated for school when the weather so nice as well.

This week in Geometry, we learned more about the Pythagorean Theorem.  With the Pythagorean Theorem, there are patterns that come up in special right triangles that we studied all week.  These right triangles are a 30º-60º-90º triangle, and a 45º-45º-90º triangle.  With these patterns, you can use shortcuts to find the side lengths of the special triangles.  An example of one such shortcut in a 30º-60º-90º triangle is hypotenuse=2(shorter leg).  While you can still find these values using a²+b²=c², it’s much easier and quicker to use these shortcuts.