Copyright (c) 2014 by Mackenzie J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mackenzie J -- Blogmeister

Kenzies Blog-

by Mackenzie J teacher: Melanie Transue

Romeo and Juliet: The Killers

Who do you consider to be the most famous couple ever? No, not any of those Jersey Shore couples or Disney princes and princesses. The couple that wasn't allowed to be together, but broke the rules to do it: Romeo and Juliet. There is a lot of pop culture that refers to this great tale of those famous lovers. One of these is the song "Romeo and Juliet" by the Killers.
This song describes what Romeo and Juliet would be like in modern times. "A lovestruck Romeo sings the streets a serenade...He finds a streetlight and steps out of the shade/And says something like, 'You and me babe, how about it?'" This exerpt from the song shows how Romeo might ask Juliet to be his own in today's time. It shows them as any other teenagers with a romance going on.
This slightly differs from the real story. In the story, Juliet asked Romeo instead. Of course, when she asked, she spoke as they did in Shakespearean times. The song does represent the love and how they felt for each other well though. The song says, "I can't do everything but I'd do anything for you / Can't do anything except be in love with you." Romeo and Juliet seemed to have a love as strong as this, and I believe these words would definitely apply to them.
Many songs and spoofs and modern movies were made based off of the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet. Some were rather accurate and some were not. This song, "Romeo and Juliet" by The Killers, was slightly inaccurate, mostly becasue it was in simpler, modern language, but hey, we can't all write like Shakespeare!
Article posted May 4, 2012 at 08:22 AM • comment (5) • Reads 74 • Return to Blog List

That song goes well with Romeo and Juliet. Nice blog!
Posted May 30, 2012 at 07:53 AM by • Makenna E
I believe you are correct about this song being accurate. I should listen to it sometime too.
Posted May 24, 2012 at 06:33 AM by • Christopher C
I really do enjoy this blog. You write very well, and you chose a good band and song. Your blogs are excellent.
Posted May 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM by • Kelly S
Great observation Haley! I absolutely loved how you said "No not any of those Jersey Shore couples" :P Fabulous analyzation of this song
Posted May 23, 2012 at 09:35 AM by • Brynn D
Dude, I'm completely ashamed to say I never listened to the song. Also, I may love way people talked two hundred years ago, but come on, even I think it would be crazy if everybody started talking in ten syllables every sentence. (=
Posted May 21, 2012 at 07:45 PM by • Keeley C