Copyright (c) 2014 by Ms. H Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Ms. H -- Blogmeister

Room 202's Thoughts....

5th Grade

Ms. H's Thinkers & Bloggers

by Ms. H

Intermediate Books
Reading Strategy Refresher
Class Wiki

This week we are determining important information when reading nonfiction.  One technique to record facts, questions and responses is to use the FQR chart. 

Assignment:

1.  Please choose one of the links below and give a 2 sentence summary of the article (don't forget the the title!) and what it is generally about. :

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

2.  Describe SIX total facts, questions and responses that you put into your chart.  (Please have at least one of each!)

3. Proofread and post by Thursday April 12.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM • comment (9) • Reads 111 • Return to Blog List

I read the Philly's article, it was called Five Years Later. Thome is back on the field and he's good.These are the six FQR's.
1.Fact: Thome is 41 years old.
2.Response:41 years old! He's really old!
3.Question: How long is Thome going to stay for?
4.Question: Does Thome love to play baseball?
5.Fact:Thome played for 22 years.
6.Response: That's so cool! Thome is better then Ryan Howard at double plays!
Posted April 11, 2012 at 06:39 PM by • aonsson
This week I read about the Phillies and how Jim Thome returned to Philadelphia and the baseball field 5 years later. Some of the questions(?), responses(!), and facts(F) that I collected are.

F: The first 2 games betweeen the Pirates and the Phillies were sold out- the first time to start a season in Pittsburgh history.

!: WOW! First time to start a season in Pittsburgh history!

! WOW! Many of the people who showed up at the game were mostly Phillies fans!

F: The last time Thome played was in 2007.

?: How old was Thome when he returned after 5 years?

?: Who won the second game?
Posted April 11, 2012 at 06:38 PM by • royle
This week we were asked to Blog about 6 facts, questions, and responses on the articles we read.  I read the Phillies article that was called Five Years Later, Thome Takes the Field Again  The article was about how Jim Thome is now returning to Philadelphia.  It is also about Thome's stats.  These are the six I came up with.

1. Fact: Jim Thome bats 5th, plays first base, and is number 25.  

2. Question: Does Jim Thome enjoy playing in Philadelphia?

3. Response: Wow!  Forty one years old is old for a professional baseball player. 

4. Fact: Thome left Philly then is returning now.

5.  Question:   Will the Phillies be the team Thome ends his career with?

6. Response:   That's interesting!  Thome had an easier time turning a double play than Ryan Howard usually can.
Posted April 11, 2012 at 03:11 PM by • jckeown
By: Lilly Miller 04/11/12

Title: RATS! Giant rats have invaded the Florida Keys

Summary:

Gambian pouched rats have made their way from Africa to the Florida Keys and are causing great concern! Officials plan to trap the rats so they don’t damage the local ecosystems and spread diseases.

Facts:

• Gambian Pouched rats are native to Africa but have traveled to the Florida Keys.
• Eight rats were set free by an exotic breeder over ten years ago and made their way into the wild where they began breeding.
• There are a few dozen Gambian Pouched rats living in the wild.
• These rats can grow up to three feet long and can weigh up to nine pounds.
• They carry food in their pouches in their cheeks.

Responses:

• Wow! I can’t believe officials have to set up so many traps to get rid of the Gambian Pouched rats.
• Cool! I didn’t know omnivores are animals that eat almost everything.

Questions:

• I wonder if there is another way to control the Gambian Pouched rats without having to actually kill them?

Posted April 11, 2012 at 03:05 PM by • liller
in class we are learning about FQR chart and my article that i read for this asiment i read about the phillies vs the pirates...

here are some facts...

1.First two games were openers and both were sold out.

2.Also for the first time in pittsburg history to have the first two game openers be sold out

some of my question are...

1. Were there more philly fans or pirates fans at the game those two nights

2. Is it really the first time in pittsburg history to have a game opener be sold out

Here are some responses...

1. Wow! Thats amazing sold out thats 50,000 people watching them playing a game cheering

2. Thats cool they made history on the game opener
Posted April 11, 2012 at 02:16 PM by • kammond
Hey guys! In class we are learning about FQR charts and this week we were supposed to make an FQR chart and a 2 sentence summary of the story u read. The story I read this week was the animalsnature one.
FQR chart:

Facts: Male foxes are more aggressive than female foxes.
Questions: Why would group fox members be forced to live alone?
Foxes do boxing?
Why do male foxes get aggressive and females don’t?
Apes are smart!?
Reactions: WOW! Living alone at like 2 years old!?
My passage was mostly just about how animals can be nice but also aggressive.
But the passage wasn’t about just one animal it was about foxes and apes and wolves and so many more and how they are all nice to eachother.
Posted April 10, 2012 at 07:34 PM by • eganyan
My topic is behaver with animals

2 facts are elephants foxes and wolves live in groups. 2 is sometimes a animals steps out of the way to do what is right.

my 1 quetion is are there other groups of animals My 2 question is how come if a animal leaves the groups it is harder to raise the baby.

my responses are yes there are other animals that live in groups like birds my seccond response is because there would be only one animal taking care of the baby
Posted April 10, 2012 at 04:44 PM by • daltanis
The story that i chose to read was "Rats!".
And the story was about the Gambian pouched rat and how it was discoverd and what it does.

A couple of things that I saw and picked out as facts were....

#1.Gambian pouched rats are native to Africa.

#2.they can be larger than house cats.

#3.1o years ago population of rats began to grow in the wild.

#4.According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, at least a few dozen are running wild.

#5. African pouched rats can grow to be up to three feet long and weigh up to nine pounds.

#6. They usually live in forests, gardens and orchards.

Those are some facts that i have found in the story "Rats!"
Posted April 9, 2012 at 02:52 PM by • nassin
The topic that I read about was rats. This story was about rats, where they can be found, some cool facts about rats and thier way of life.
Posted April 9, 2012 at 01:58 PM by • ianzella

2009-2010
2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013
Ms. H

I am a 5th Grade teacher in Jamison, Pa. I love teaching and seeing what's in store for me in 5th grade everyday. Technology is something I try to incorporate into my classroom and I am always open to new ideas on how to use it!