Conditions of Use
Off to China!!
Last week I had the wonderful opportunity to take 28 cadets (High School and Middle School) to China! We visited Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. Our competent tour guide took us to see historical and awe-inspiring sites. They included: the Forbidden City, the Great Wall of China, the Summer Palace, the Teracotta Warriors and the Pearl Tower. Our experience with the Chinese was very positive. Though the Chinese were inquisitive and interested in who we were, we never felt uncomfortable. Our cadets experienced different foods, music and cultural practices; it was an experience of a lifetime for them!
If you are thinking about taking students to this fascinating country, here are some tips to consider:
1) Secure a professional, respected tour guide and tour company. We were lucky to have the tour guide we did. It made all the difference.
2) Assign senior cadets to help with leadership. As a military school we can assign cadet leaders to assist in some leadership duties. I assigned two upperclassmen to watch over the five Middle School cadets that were with us. They primarily did this during times we were touring the city.
3) Make sure you have visas, passports, travel insurance, transportation to and from the airport, student medicine and finances set up at least a month in advance.
4) Ensure that each student has the address to the hotel you're staying in. In case they get lost, they can give the address to a taxi driver and get back to the hotel.
5) Be pro-active as an educator, mentor, and disciplinarian on a trip of this kind - maintaining a structured, disciplined trip is crucial for the safety of the group.
6) Cajole your students to try all kinds of foods and be attentive not just to the historical aspects of the country, but also to the culture.
Consider taking this trip. It will open your students' and teachers' minds along with marketing your school in a positive way!
Article posted March 12, 2012 at 09:02 AM •
comment (1) • Reads 608
Return to Blog List
Add a Comment
China is an awesome place to got to! My college class went there on a field trip . Please visit my blog by entering this link. http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?user_id=55688&blogger_id=358001
Comment Posted on April 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM by
My Classes & Students
About the Blogger
I am the Dean of Academics at a private military school in central Missouri called Missouri Military Academy.
Latest 10 Comments: