Copyright (c) 2014 by Colin L Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Colin L -- Blogmeister

Colin (shorty)-

by Colin L teacher: Melanie Transue

March Free write

Fallout Background

“War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage. In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation. But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world - but war, war never changes. In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as vaults. But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them - all except those in Vault 101. For on the fateful day, when fire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Vault 101 slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die. Because, in Vault 101: no one ever enters, and no one ever leaves.”

What you just read was the opening cut scene/quote from an amazing game, a game that I believe to be one of the best games to have ever been made by Bethesda Studios and released in the year of 2008. The name of this amazing game is none other than Fallout 3. The game starts out by telling this quote in a cut scene (short video during the game play). You might be asking how this could have been possible. The game talks about a great war that had happened before the player (you) was born. The year in the game is 2077 when the bombs were dropped, but the explosion of the bombs had caused a time elapse which combined the future with the past, the technology is from the right year (2077) but the music, the clothing, the cars, and even the houses are from the 1950’s.

The Great War was a giant war between the U.S and China. The U.S was about to end the war because they were defeating the Chinese. What the U.S didn’t know was that China was working on nuclear bombs. Before the U.S could defeat the Chinese, they dropped the bombs on America. Little did the Chinese know was that the size of the bombs had more power than they anticipated, when they dropped the bombs on the U.S they had dropped about seven nuclear bombs, but the bombs had so much power that it “blew up” the entire planet. It didn’t really blow it up just wiped out almost all of humanity on the planet. The animals had gotten bigger and more deadly than they were before the bombs had been dropped. Now humanity must fight for survival and build its way back up to “working” condition.

Before and a little while during the dropping of the bombs, humanity had entered vaults to survive the bomb dropping, this was only if they were able reserve a space in a vault. As the quote says how they went into the vaults to live in until the bombs had all dropped, even though there was only seven bombs there had been over a bunch of explosions. The quote doesn’t tell that in order to survive the holocaust you would have to reserve a spot in one of the vaults. The vaults were very big but not big enough to hold all of humanity. Loved ones, complete strangers, no matter who they were to anyone else, if they couldn’t get a reserved spot, then they were not let in, they were left out in the nuclear fire that rained from the sky. They were either killed or they were changed into what is called a ghoul (a person that had encountered a certain amount of radiation to make their skin peel off of their body, and their voices changed, they look like zombies but can actually be quite civil). They were the survivors of the outside world; they were able to survive because they had found shelter before they were completely destroyed by the radiation, but the radiation slowly eats away at their brains and they slowly become what are called a feral ghoul, once they have gone “feral” they lose their ability to reason with anyone and will attack anything that is not another feral ghoul or a regular ghoul on site.

If you were not able to get a reserved spot in one of the few vaults, or if you were unable to survive the radiation by finding shelter but still becoming a ghoul, then your shadow could have been burned into the concrete of the ground or a wall in the position that the blast from the bomb killed you in. So the world of Fallout 3 is a very dangerous place to explore, but what you basically just read was only a brief summary of what had happened in the game. If you would like to know more about the game Fallout 3, then I highly recommend that you buy it and play it. It is one of the most fun filled, challenging, and probably one of the scariest games that Bethesda Studios had ever created and it is in my opinion one of the best games ever. I hope you enjoyed reading about a brief look at the background of the game Fallout 3.

Article posted March 9, 2012 at 09:58 AM • comment (1) • Reads 108 • see all articles