Kai'Aishah's Blog-

#514 Why Do Some Years Leap Ahead?

Usually on the calendar there is 365 days in a year. Did you know the Earth travels around once a year. Also smart astronomers found out that it actually takes Earth a little longer to travel around the sun. Precisely measuring, this is the results they got. They determined that one trip around the sun is actually 365.242 days (or 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds, to be exact). This means that a year should actually be 365 and almost one-quarter days long. Juli us Caesar under the ancient Romans decided to do the same as Egyptians when they developed our modern calendar. Plus they were the first to designate February 29 as the extra day.

My Wonder Words to use and know:

1. century- It means something like centuries later

2. calendar- Something that you keep track of you stuff on

3. manage- To manage something

leap year_shutterstock_69103444

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 08:02 PM • comment • Reads 42 • Return to Blog List

Kai'Aishah is my name and I like to play losts of sports such as Basketball,Baseball,Soccer,Track&Field,XC and others. I am a pro in every sport I do.