ARWI

The Eye 09/12/11
Blog Post #1 09/07/11

This is a part of my latest project in social studies class. After researching the gladiators of ancient Rome, each student in the class produced a booklet that was supposed to resemble a lost journal. We wrote entries from the eyes of a gladiator, from the moment they were captured to the point where they retired or died.

Roman Gladiator Excerpt:

June 5

I fought at the Colosseum today! I survived my first day at the gladiatorial games! It was a grim sight to see all those men die. It was especially difficult to kill someone. I have never done something like that in my life, but I knew I am closer to my freedom this way.

I was a bit distracted by the Colosseum’s beauty when I was there today. It also has a brilliant layout and structure. The Colosseum is a gigantic oval; inspired by the Roman theatre semi-circle shape. The elliptical shape allows many spectators to have a great view of the arena below. The sprawling awnings above the seating shade all the spectators nicely. The arena is the smaller elliptical field where all the fights are held. The ground is scattered with sand to absorb blood. That is just from the outside, but the Colosseum has a genius substructure and crowd management system that allows great function for workers, gladiators and spectators.

The Colosseum contains many passages that lead you to exactly where you need to go. Each class of people sat in a different area, so it was important that nobody accidently ended up on the wrong side of the arena. I saw that the emperor’s party entered the seating from the north and through the Magistrates entrance. The consuls enter through the south. The performers entered from the west and through the Porta Triumphalis or the ceremonial entrance of the gladiators. All the dead bodies were carried out through the Porta Libitinesis or the death gate. Each entrance and exit functions perfectly.

Everyone seemed to be seated socially when I was there. I noticed that the women sat in the back on the wooden seating. I knew the spectators were seated by marital and profession status because the soldiers and the bachelors were seated separately. The tiers of the seating were separated clearly and far so that nobody would mix together. The Romans hate mixed crowds.

I don’t like going to the gladiatorial games, but I want to find my family one day when I’m free. Andreas told me I fight again in two days. I hope I win again.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM • comment • Reads 250 • Return to Blog List