GHPE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

This is a excerpt from the roman gladiator project we did.We have been studying rome and we learned about Gladiators. We had to make a jouranl that one of the roman gladiator would have kept .

The training is so hard , it feels like you have died. I hate it here but know that it is helping my mom and sisters.  Every time you don’t train hard enough you get whipped hard. I am a Dimacharius  gladiator, which means I fight with two swords and little armor. It is very scary. We have practice fights. I learned I have my first fight in 5 days a with a samnite.

Samnite gladiators fight with a large shield, helmet and a sword. This means they have lots of protection, unlike the Dimacharius.

Home , the one place I cannot be. The only place I can’t stop thinking about.  I wish I was at home to be there for my sisters and my mother. I was never married. I didn’t want to become a gladiator, but they just came to the house and took me.  They took me because we couldn’t pay the taxes , but they told me if I become a gladiator my family would be safe. So I'm a gladiator now. I hope I fight and win so I get the wooden sword so I can go home.  They told me if I fight to win and get the wooden sword they would let me go and I wouldn’t have to worry about food or paying taxes. I want to go home badly.

The wooden sword means you are free and you have won your freedom.  It means you don’t have to fight anymore. You don’t have to be a gladiator anymore but you can be. You can go home

and live your life freely. You live and don’t have to train or fight anymore. That is what the wooden sword was.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 08:20 AM • comment • Reads 109 • Return to Blog List