GHPE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Here is an excerpt from my journal about a Roman gladiator. I had to make this as an assignment for Social Studies class.

Tomorrow is my first battle so I decided to visit the Colosseum today and see what it was like. The Colosseum is also known as the Flavian ampitheatre and holds 50,000 people. It rises to 160 feet in four tiers and no wind enters it. Because no wind enters it there are retractable awnings that shade the Colosseum to keep it cool on a hot day. There is even a sign that says vela erunt which means “there will be awnings.” The Colosseum is the most recognizable building in Rome. There are different levels of seating for different levels of class. They were also sorted by profession and martial status. Women were in the back on wooden seats and there were separate seats for bachelors and soldiers. In the arena sand lines the floor to soak up the blood of the wounded. There is an area under the arena to keep prisoners and beasts. The prisoners and beasts were kept in 32 cages which led to lifts that lifted the prisoner or animal into the Colosseum. Did you know that before Vespasian and his sons Titus and Domitian created the Colosseum gladiatorial games were held in the Forum? I can’t believe I just learned this today.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 08:17 AM • comment • Reads 105 • see all articles