Copyright (c) 2014 by Rye 7th Team Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rye 7th Team -- Blogmeister

Rye JH - 7th Grade Team-

7th Grade Team

Discover what's happening in the 7th grade classes at Rye Jr. High (A Middle School) in Rye, NH, US.

by Rye 7th Team

Rye Jr. High School
Ms. Adams' Science Blog
RJH 7th Team Web Page

In Social Studies, we did a project on Roman gladiators. We researched the life of Roman gladiators,the Colosseum,and daily life in Rome. After researching, we created a fictional journal about a fictional Roman gladiator, from the gladiators point of view. Here are two excerpts from my journal.

Excerpt 1:

I am now a trained Hoplomachus gladiator. Hoplomachus is one of the many different types of gladiators. They have a small bronze shield, like that of a hoplite, a spear to thrust at the opponent, a helmet with a crescent shaped crest and a griffin’s head on top, and heavily quilted defenses and leg greaves. Leg greaves are the armor that a gladiator wears on his legs. Of course, this dress style is specific to Hoplomachus, and every other type of gladiator dresses differently. Here are the other types of gladiators:

Murmillo
The name Murmillo comes from sea fish.
This gladiator has a large, heavy weight shield,
an infantry sword used to thrust at the opponent,
heavily padded over boot and leg greave on the
left leg to protect it from the opponent and
banging from his own shield, and a helmet
that has a large dorsal fin, representing sea fish.

Mymillo
This gladiator has a dagger, a shield, and leg bands.

Retiarius
This is the most vulnerable of gladiators. This
gladiator has a Trident to inflict blows at long
range, a net used like a whip to trip and ensnare
the opponent, a dagger used for the face off, and
only a shoulder guard to protect him.

Laquerius
Laquerius is similar to Retiarius. This gladiator
has a trident to inflict blows at long range, a
shoulder guard and arm armor, and no helmet.
The biggest difference between Laquerius and
Retiarius gladiators is that Laquerius have a lasso
to snag and trip his opponent, instead of a net.

Saminite
This gladiator has a crested helmet, a sword, and
a large shield.

Secutor
This gladiator chases his opponent, and is lightly
armored.

Thracian
This gladiator has a small shield, curved dagger,
and leg greaves.

Andabatus
This gladiator has a helmet with no eye holes,
and charges blindly on horse back at his
opponent.
Essendarius
This gladiator drives a horse drawn chariot.

Dimachaerius
This gladiator fights with two swords,and has
little armor.

Velitus
This gladiator has only a spear.

Women
It is very rare to see a female gladiator, but it does
happen.

As you can see, there are many types of gladiators. Some have a lot of armor, so some gladiators have attendants to carry their equipment. I must get back to practice now, I have my first battle tomorrow.

Cearian

Excerpt 2:

I did very well today at my first battle. It began with a warm up fight, using wooden swords, while spectators gambled on which one of us they thought would win. Then we were given our real weapons, and musicians began to play flutes ,war trumpets, and pipes. The battle was tough, I was up against a Retiarius and almost got snagged several times by his net, but my agility from fighting back home came in very handy. The Retiarius did succeed in stabbing my arm with his Trident though, and the doctor has to tend to the wound. Luckily, I managed to knock him to the ground during the face off and keep him there, and I won the battle. He raised one finger on his left hand to appeal to the Emperor, who then turned to the crowd and asked what they wanted. The crowd decided to spare his life, by turning their thumbs up and waving their handkerchiefs around, but they also seemed very pleased by my first performance. I am very thankful there were awnings today, for it was extremely hot. The awnings, which are used for shade to cool the inside of the Colosseum since there are no breezes inside the Colosseum, are canvas suspended by a system of ropes, which are suspended from 240 wooden masts, which are supported by 3 stone brackets per each of the 80 bays at the top of the Colosseum. A group of sailors execute the complex operation of raising and lowering the awnings. “Vela erunt”- “there will be awnings”- is posted outside the arena to encourage people to come to the performances. I hope I continue to do this well as I move on to fight more battles in the Colosseum. It is mid-day now, and those who survive until mid-day get to rest and watch prisoners fight.

Cearian

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 07:53 AM • comment • Reads 381 • Return to Blog List

Current Class
Past Class

--- Moon Phase Badge___

CURRENT MOON
-- EarthCast 2014 badge3042c1a2778dc5c7e5401bf2732221ecff2da72d Earthcast11 Badge ----