Copyright (c) 2014 by ISMA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
ISMA -- Blogmeister

ISMA-

by ISMA teacher: Rye 8th Team

We researched Roman gladiators, the colosseum and, daily lifestyle for social studies. Theses are some excerpts from the journal I wrote about it.

Journal Excerpt Prologue In the year 2004, on an archaeological dig in the city of Pompeii, I, Germaine Lenkle, found the journal of a Roman gladiator called: Appius Octavius Magnus. We brought the journal to America and analyzed what the journal revealed about the lifestyle of a Roman gladiator. In the journal, Appius talks about his life as a Roman gladiator. With the help of the American government, we have taken excerpts from the journal and explained the meanings and what is going on in the journal. The journal was found in Pompeii. This city was one of the cities that was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Pompeii was one of the three cities, including Oplonti and Herculaneum, that was covered in ashes when the volcano erupted. The ashes that rained down from Mount Vesuvius covered the three cities in white-gray covering, literally freezing the people, pets, and buildings in place. It was found under the body of a man who we assumed to be Appius. In his words, the journal explains all of the hardships and luxury’s of a Roman gladiators life. It also explains the structure and purpose of the Colosseum and training centers. May 30. The banquet. “Tonight we held a banquet. Although were are not wealthy, my wife put together a wonderful meal and invited our friends over for supper. We had, as an appetizer, fried bulbs, and for soups we had puree of lettuce leaves with onions. For our main course we had the most delicious smoked pigs stomach. The brains stuffed inside were cooked to perfection and had just the right amount of juice left inside them. For dessert, we had stew of apricot. Then all of our friends left and we went to bed on full stomachs.” In Roman households, the meals he explained above were common and there were many more that we would consider rather unappetizing today. For instance, for appetizers there were, snails fed on milk. They were fed on milk to take all of the gravel and silt out of their stomachs. They also had minced sea-crayfish-tail bulbs. For main courses they also had electric ray with hot raisins, boiled crane with turnips, leg of boar, roast flamingo with Jericho dates, dried onion, honey and wine and wood-pigeon. “I have won again, however I did not receive the money I was hoping for, I received a wooden sword and a pat on the back. I came home and my son was still feverish and sweating. My wife told me that she had called for a doctor but he had never shown up. I took matters into my own hands. I went down to the doctors building and refused to go until a trained medicinal man came with me. He came to our house assessed my son, bled him, then gave us a recipe to give him to help his fever. We payed the doctor and he left.” Appius's prize was not the one he had hoped for, no matter who the competitor, your prizes or winnings could vary from money and freedom, if you were a slave, to a pat on the back and some cheering. “Today my daughter turned 12. Since our family is not wealthy she will continue her education with her mother. She will learn how to cook, clean, wash clothes, take care of babies and much more that you will have to ask my wife about. We are all so proud of her. We held a celebration in he honor. It included her favorite meal; leg of boar. We will not have a celebration like this again until my next oldest son is sixteen.” Roman girls and boys were taught by their parents until they were three or four. Then they would go on to their formal education. The formal education stopped for girls when they were twelve. That was when they learned to be house wives and mothers by being taught by their own mothers. For boys, formal education stopped when they were fifteen or sixteen. This was when they would find a job, and learn to be a 'good man' from their father. Boys had the option of going to rhetoric school if they wanted to be a law man or work for the government or empire.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 07:36 AM • comment • Reads 215 • Return to Blog List