sabastians blog-

This year we have been studying water quality. we have studied Salmon, the water cycle, pollution, and macroinvertabrates (all have their own blogs, click on all entries to see them) so we could tell the healthiness of our creek. I will know share with you some of the information we have gathered.

WATER QAULITY PARAMETERS

==========================

D.O

The average D.O. for this year is 8.125 mg/l

D.O stands for dissolved oxygen

5.0 and up to a certain level (?10?) is good, So it is good.

It is good for humans, and fish. Air is the main way for

D.O to get in the water. Plants and help the D.O level too.

pH

this years average pH is 6

pH stands for positive hydrogen

0 and 14 are pollution. So it is very good. pH is a Measurement

Of acid. The acid level is multiplied by ten each level you

Go up or down from 7 (neutral).

Turbidity

This years average turbidity is 44.7 NTU's

Turbidity is the measurement of cloudiness and clearness 

It does not mean much because they experimented with

how to change the turbidity of the water. But other wise it

is good. Because when the water is clear that means that there

is good turbidity. 0-50 NTU is clear and therefore good.

Nitrates

This years average Nitrates is 2.3 mg/l

Nitrates are most of Nitrogen

Stable nitrates are 3 oxygen and 1 nitrogen in an atom. Unstable nitrogen is 2 oxygen and (unknown) Nitrogen in an atom. Low levels are good, high levels are bad. Nitrogen cycle is air, bacteria, plants, animals, dirt, last air/dirt. Nitrates affect algae and bacteria so if there is too much fish will die because there is too much algae and bacteria.

Ammonium

This years avergae ammonium is 1.6 mg/l

That is a bad number and is problaby not possible as there are salmon in our creek

It is a colorless bad smelling gas. It’s made from bacteria. The atom is made from 1 nitrogen, and 3 hydrogen. It makes very good fertilizer and cleaning products. It is found in animal manure. People get it from inhaling it. No numbers are good except for 0. But things close to 0 is pretty good too such as 0.1 or 0.2.

Flow rate

This years average flow rate is 1972.8 g/s

Medium speeds are good, slow is good but to slow is bad because algae grows and is not hindered by flowing water, fast is bad because fish can’t rest and young can’t swim.

Temperature

This is my parameter ( I measured it).  Some of the variables that affect the temperature of the water are: The color of the water (changes how much heat it absorbs, the darker the more heat absorbed), the depth of the water (the deeper the colder because they take more time to warm up), The amount of shade (it prevents parts of the water from getting warm from the cold), Nearby climate (Example: when the climate is cold the river is more cold then it would be in a hot climate) The seasons (Example: when the season is winter the river is more cold then it would be in summer) the temperature of the water coming into the water source (such as just un-frozen water running into the stream would cool it down or basically make it colder), the amount of water ( the more the slower it cools down). It affects the dissolved oxygen level in the water because when air is in water and it becomes warm it is less likely to dissolve, photosynthesis of aquatic plants because when the heat increases the rate of photosynthesis goes up until 32 degrees Celsius or 89.6 degrees Fahrenheit and then level off and decreases and the temperature increases past that, metabolic rates of aquatic organisms because when the heat changes so does their metabolism and they use more dissolved oxygen and they have less dissolved oxygen cause they are using more.If the temperature is too high or low the fish in any stage could die.It affects humans because some people make their living from fishing so if they died then they would be poor and no one would be able to eat any fish and if they relied on fish for food they might die.It affects vegetation because the plants in and around the water would not get the fish’s droppings that may act for fertilizer for them so they would not grow as well, and bugs would eat them more because there would not be fish to eat them.

This is what we measured the stuff with.

So all this tallys up so that eventually Chimacum Creek is...........................

........................................................................................................................

...............Very Good=http://.................................................................................

oops! you went to far!!! (unless you were heading to other blogs :)

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:42 PM • comment (2) • Reads 132 • Return to Blog List

You have a lot of detail to your writing I engyed reading it all.Tell me what the question was?
Posted March 13, 2012 at 03:20 PM by • laurenw
Nice job with the blog! The part I liked most was the the turbidity information. Nice blog! Good luck with the next one!
Posted March 8, 2012 at 04:10 PM by • Ky