Copyright (c) 2014 by Jody Ferguson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jody Ferguson -- Blogmeister

RETSD Adult Education Program-

English Language Arts

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by Jody Ferguson

ELA Manitoba Curriculum Documents
Human Rights Watch
Canadian Letters and Images Project
The Virtual Museum of Canada
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Oprah.com - Text info about Night and Elie Wiesel
The Book Thief - author info., discussion questions, etc.
Henry Rollins Official Site - Check out everything this guy does!
The Weakerthans Homepage
Internet Research Skills Wiki - Developed by Christine Robinson
'Net Know-How - A great site for info on how to be a wise and responsible internet user!
Owl at Purdue MLA 2009 Writing Guide
Watch Free Documentary Films Online
Freedom Riders Documentary - info and clips
Daily Grammar
Englishgrammar.org
Grammar Tips
10 Tips for Effective Editing
Commonly Confused Words
Notes on The Book Thief (from author Markus Zusak
How Will We Love? Documentary (Grade 11)
Ted Talks - Stefana Broadbent: How the Internet enables intimacy (Grade 11)
The Truth According to Wikipedia Documentary (Grade 12)
Freerice.com
No Logo: Brands, Globalization and Resistance Documentary
Naomi Klein on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (No Logo: Ten Years Later)
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 1
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 2
The Grammar Gang - yes, an interesting blog about grammar!
Owl at Purdue Writing Guide
Grade 12 - Analysis text example
Crowdsourcing the News - Paul Lewis (Ted.com) - Grade 11 Media Study
OWL at Purdue - Evaluating Sources
Sample Essay #1 - MLA Style
Sample Essay #2 - MLA Style
Manitobia - Manitoban History
Ted.com
Macleans Magazine
Intro to Pathos video - Using Emotion as a Tool in your Speaking and Writing
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting - The Basics (YouTube)
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited (YouTube)
In-text Citations, MLA Style (YouTube)
Paleface - Burn and Rob (Grade 12 - Censorship Jigsaw Groups)
Sept. 11th Pager Data
Flocabulary - 5 Things (Elements of a Short Story)
Rosa Parks Biography (English Upgrading)
Gr. 12 Analysis Sample (Video- Nystrom Hits Letang)

Blog Assessment

As your blogs are worth 20% of your total mark, it is important to know what I am assessing them for so that you can present your best work. Below I have listed the 'Big Questions' that guide me in assessing your blogs. You can use these questions to make sure that you are meeting my expectations with your blog assignments. As well, I have listed the specific outcomes that I am using to assess the blogs at each grade level. You will see how similar the outcomes are from grade 10 to 12. These outcomes are listed in 'student-friendly language', because the language in the curriculum can be confusing, even for me. If you would like access to the original curriculum documents, check out the link that I have posted to Manitoba's ELA Curriculum Documents or see me in class for a paper copy of the outcomes.

Big questions:

Are you making meaningful and thoughtful blog entries?

Are you supporting your ideas with evidence or reasons?

When asked, are you able to meaningfully reflect on your assignments and identify areas for improvement?

Are you making meaningful and thoughtful comments on other people’s blogs?

Are you being respectful when discussing others’ ideas in your blog and when commenting on others’ blogs, even when you disagree with their ideas?

Is there evidence in your blogs and comments that you are seeking out and using others’ ideas to develop your own ideas?

Grade 10 Outcomes

1.1.1 You think about your own opinions and ideas in order to come to a position on a topic.

1.1.2 You seek out other people’s ideas and opinions and consider how they help you come to a better understanding of an issue or topic.

1.1.5 You assess your own understanding of ELA (what do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in ELA?) and make a plan for personal growth in ELA learning.

1.2.2 You can explain your opinions, providing support or reasons and can anticipate others viewpoints.

5.1.1 You make contributions to group work and encourage others to do so as well. You do this by using language that is respectful and supportive.

Grade 11 Outcomes

1.1.1 You can develop a ‘position’ using your ideas, observations, opinions and emotions.

1.1.2 You seek out other people’s ideas, observations and opinions to rework and clarify your position.

1.2.2 You can communicate how you rethought and reworked your understanding of texts or your opinions on a subject after receiving new knowledge and/or experiences.

5.1.1 You use language to build and maintain respectful relationships with people in various roles; use tactful language when discussing differing viewpoints or offering constructive criticism.

Grade 12 Outcomes

1.1.1 You rethink and solidify your position on a topic based on new ideas, observations, opinions and emotions.

1.1.2 You assess the validity of alternative perspectives and ideas in order to clarify your own position on a topic.

1.1.5 You assess your own understanding of ELA (what do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in ELA?) and make a plan for personal growth in ELA learning related to your daily life and future employment.

1.2.3 You seek out multiple sources and types of information to make sure that you are considering different perspectives when communicating your position on a topic.

5.1.1 You use language to demonstrate openness and flexibility in working with others; listen attentively and encourage differing viewpoints, using tactful language when disagreeing or problem solving.

5.2.1 You evaluate different facts and viewpoints to come to an understanding about texts, others and yourself.

you must be a member of and logged into Class Blogmeister to leave a comment... memberid is

Classblogmeister Login
You Name:
Your Password:

English 40S McLeod
English 40S Transcona (condensed Nov. - Jan.)
English Upgrading

My name is Jody Ferguson. I am 32 years old. I am married and have two children - Alexis (13) and Aiden (7). I am a very busy hockey/drama/Girl Guides/roller derby mom who also loves good music, tattoos and Coca-Cola. I teach English Language Arts at both the Mcleod Adult Learning Centre and the Transcona Adult Learning Centre. I love my job! jferguson@retsd.mb.ca