Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Ruffing Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Ruffing -- Blogmeister

Yellow Brick Road
Cougars on a Path of Discovery
-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mrs. Ruffing

ClustrMaps
Flag Counter
Google Translator Widget
Google Clock
Student Blogging Challenge
CougarTech3
CougarTech4
CougarTech5
CougarTech6
CougarTech7
CougarTech8

Here is a beautiful interactive interpretation of Van Gogh's Starry Night. You need sound to have the full experience. The creator of this amazing video, Petros Vrellis, credits the software openFrameworks for allowing this to be possible. According to their website openFrameworks is an open source C++ tookit for creative coding.

Of course, Van Gogh's masterpiece is amazing in its own right. I wonder what he would think of Vrellis's interpretation.

The Starry Night was painted by Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) in 1889. The original is currently housed in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.  More information about the painting and artist can be  found at the VanGogh Gallery site. This work is considered to be of the Post-Impressionist style. According to the Museum of Modern Art Post-Imressionism "can be loosely defined as a rejection of the Impressionists’ concern for the naturalistic depiction of light and colour in favour of an emphasis on abstract qualities or symbolic content." The time period is roughly 1886 to 1905 and in addition to Van Gogh, includes the work of artists such as Paul Cézanne, Paul Gauguin, and George Seurat. They each had unique styles such as  VanGogh's impasto which is taking a thick application of paint (usually oil) that makes no attempt to look smooth. It purposely is textured to show off brush and palette knife marks.

Do you want to learn more about art? Here are some places to visit

Smithsonian's Everything Art

Famous Paintings - Art Appreciation Lessons for Kids

Artcyclopedia

Image: The Starry Night from Wikimedia Commons in the Public Domain

Article posted February 20, 2012 at 08:31 AM • comment • Reads 83 • see all articles