Copyright (c) 2014 by Brynn D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Brynn D -- Blogmeister

Confesssions of a Gleek-

by Brynn D teacher: Melanie Transue

A feminist would celebrate the New York Times Bestseller and Broadway musical: Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

First of all one reason why a feminist would celebrate Wicked because the main character is Elphaba. Miss. Elphie is an extremely inspirational, powerful females. Elphaba doesn’t care that from all of her actions everybody says that she is the ‘Wicked witch of the west’. From the moment she was born she was an outcast. Even her mother and father disgraced her. Elphie still rose up against everybody else and showed them all how even though she was a green girl she was so powerful. 

Another reason why a feminist would celebrate Wicked because of the song in the musical Defying Gravity. This song is the number one song from Wicked. It is Elphaba singing about how she is done with other people treating her like dirt just because she’s green. “I’m through accepting limits cause someone says they’re so. Some things I cannot change but till I try I’ll never know.” Elphie is an idol to girls all around the world. She doesn’t care about how everybody says she can’t do this and she can’t do that. Or even how everybody even her own father and sister say she’s a disgrace and an outcast. She’s just going to what she does best. Which is Defying Gravity.

In conclusion, this is why a feminist would celebrate the New York Times Bestseller and Broadway musical: Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

I'm through accepting limits

''cause someone says they're so

Some things I cannot change

But till I try, I'll never know!

Too long I've been afraid of

Losing love I guess I've lost

Well, if that's love

It comes at much too high a cost!

I'd sooner buy

Defying gravity

Kiss me goodbye

I'm defying gravity

And you can't pull me down

So if you care to find me

Look to the western sky!

As someone told me lately:

"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"

And if I'm flying solo

At least I'm flying free

To those who'd ground me

Take a message back from me

Tell them how I am

Defying gravity

I'm flying high

Defying gravity

And soon I'll match them in renown

And nobody in all of Oz

No Wizard that there is or was

Is ever gonna bring me down!

Bring me down!

Ahhh!

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM • comment (1) • Reads 124 • Return to Blog List

oh brynn how I love you and your obsession with Wicked. Great job.
Posted March 4, 2012 at 09:39 AM by • Karly B