Anushca Dunkley &Caitlyn O’Connor
318
Greek Pots
Going back to 7000 B.C.E., Greek pottery is some of the oldest and most historically, rich ceramic work in the world. Ancient Greek civilization lasted for about 1300 years, so their pottery changed over time.
At first their pottery would have been used for practical reasons like carrying wine or storing grain. Common shapes for their pottery were large jugs with 2 handles called amphoras, crater which were bowl shaped, and kylix which were wide cups with handles.
Overtime the Greeks started to decorate their pottery. They shaped the pots out of clay on a potter’s wheel, and then they started to paint methodical scenes on them. The Greeks also put paintings of people on the pots.
In one method of making pottery, called the black figure technique, pictures were first carved into clay and then those carvings were filled in with darker clay, which would turn black after the pot was then fired in a kiln. At first the designs were simple natural subjects and designs of daily life, athletic games and figures from myths and legends.
Developed in the late 6th century B.C., the red figure technique heralded a new era of very good detailing and realism in Greek pottery decoration. Red-figure had red-orange subjects on a black background. Figures were delicately put into the unfired clay and then were outlined in black clay slip while the background was also filled in with black. Fine details were added by using black, maroon, white and sometimes gold pigments.
Article posted February 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM • comment • Reads 45 • Return to Blog List