Edward Longshanks the First ruled from 1272 to 1307. He came to rule after Alexander the third and his granddaughter Margaret, Maid of Norway died four years later. He appointed a man named John Balliol to rule to extend Scotland’s rule. Later during a war he rebelled but was defeated by Edward and surrendered. 

The people of Scotland hated and tried to rebel often against Edward because of his harsh punishments and evil ways of rule. One day he was very angry and made a cage and not only locked the captured Countess of Buchan inside, but Robert the Bruce’s daughter and his twelve-year old daughter.

Robert the Bruce’s daughter is held as ransom against him. He was born at Westminster in June 1239.  He married Eleanor of Castile.

Contributions-Best ruler and one of the successful monarchs of England. Accomplishments in war and in law earned him the name-“English Justinian” He was a dangerous and clever man and continued to fight for more land. He never chose sides in the baron war, but when his father was captured his allegiance was given to Henry.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 09:00 AM • comment • Reads 54 • Return to Blog List