King Edward Longshanks

Edward Longshanks ruled from 1272 to 1307.  He was born at Westminster in June 1239.  He married Eleanor of Castile.  He appointed a man named John Balliol to help rule over Scotland, but later, John Balliol rebelled against Edward in an attempt to gain all rule.  Edward defeated Balliol, but that did not stop the people of Scotland-  they hated Edward, and often rebelled against him because of his harsh punishments and evil ways of rule.  One day, Edward got very angry, and he ordered a cage to be built—once the cage was done, he locket the captured Countess of Buchan inside, as well as Robert the Bruce’s daughters- one of them was only 11/12 years old!  The daughters were held as ransom against Robert the Bruce.  Edward was, even after all this cruelty, still a strong ruler and was considered as one of the best and most successful monarchs of England.   Accomplishments in both war and law earned him the nickname ‘English Justinian.’  He was a both dangerous and clever man, and he continued to fight for more land.  He didn’t want to choose sides in the Baron war, but when his father was captured he gave his allegiance to Henry.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 09:00 AM • comment • Reads 46 • Return to Blog List