Poets use many tools of languages to help the reader get a picture of what the poem is talking about. When the reader see these images in his mind, he can better understand the poem. Poets use comparison tools such as similes and metaphors to suggest a likeness between one subject and another. They also use rhythm as a tool to give their work a definite beat. Some poets use onomatopoeic words to add impact to a poem. A word is onomatopoeic if the sound it makes when pronounced aloud resembles the actual sound the word is describing such as "crash," "ping" and "woof." Poets also use words to stimulate six senses: sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. For example, "Vacuum cleaner’s whir and hum startles my ferret" (hearing).
These techniques add emphasis to certain meanings within the poem or help to construct interesting images. Poets use these tools to help reader understand their poems better.