Copyright (c) 2014 by Tyler B Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Tyler B -- Blogmeister

-

by Tyler B teacher: Melanie Transue

Tyler
Miss Melanie Transue
9 CP English E-5
10 January 2012
Extra Credit
Evil or Not Evil?

Do you ever do things bad? Have you ever been caught doing something bad? Are you considered bad because of what you have done? In the book Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, Jim is accused of being evil, but I believe that he is not an evil person. Jim is not evil because Will impacted Jim’s life, Jim would never hurt Will, and the carnival had tricked Jim into turning on Will.
Since Jim has a friend like Will, who cares about him, Will has had a great impact on Jim’s life. When they snuck out they did it together. They have helped each other out, even when they did not want it. Will wanted to help Jim put up the lightning rod they got from Tom Fury for free, but Jim did not let him (Bradbury 10). Will also changed Jim’s personality throughout the book because in the beginning Jim was being immature. He wanted to do stupid things, like ride the carousel. Over time though Will was impacting his life and changed Jim to see what was really happening and Jim started being serious about the situation. In the end of the book Will saved Jim from the carousel (Bradbury 269). Jim was on the carousel because Mr. Dark had put him in a trance. Will and his father saved him by being happy and joyful and that brought Jim back to life. Some people would say that Will did not impact his life and that Will just got in the way of things. Throughout the book though, Will had helped Jim in more ways than getting in the way.
Jim would never hurt Will even though he gets mad at him sometimes. When Mr. Dark wanted Will dead, Jim and Will tried to hide to get away from Mr. Dark (Bradbury 208). Also when Will and Jim have fights and argue Jim never hit Will, but once Will did punch Jim when they were arguing over something. In friendship, the longer your friendship with someone the better it usually gets, so the longer your friends with someone the better your friendship is and Will and Jim have been friends for around thirteen years. Some people might say Jim would hurt Will because he is too much of a bother which he might, but only because he cares about his friend Jim.
Jim is also no evil because while the carnival is in town, it tricked Jim into being evil. Mr. Dark also gave Jim an offer to ride the carousel forward so they could be business partners running the carnival. In order for the offer to work they had to kill Will first and Jim did not want that to happen to Will. During the carnival, the Mirror Maze attracted Jim too. In chapter 16, when Jim went into the Mirror Maze he saw an older version of himself and got scared. Mr. Dark also tricked Jim into riding the carousel and Jim rode the carousel for a little bit before Will was able to get him off of it (Bradbury 269). Some people would say that Jim was not tricked into helping Mr. Dark, he just did it because he wanted to, but that is not true because Jim’s mind was taken over by Mr. Dark and he was forced to ride the carousel.
Jim was not evil because Will impacted Jim’s life, Jim would never hurt Will, and the carnival had tricked Jim into being evil. Those are three reasons why Jim was not truly evil in the book Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

Works Cited
Bradbury, Ray. Something Wicked This Way Comes. New York, NY: William Morrow, 1962.
Print.
Article posted January 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM • comment • Reads 55 • Return to Blog List