Copyright (c) 2014 by Jessica S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jessica S -- Blogmeister

Jessica's Blog-

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Jessica S teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Global Warming

Based on the research I have done, and the information I have gotten, I do believe that global warming is a real problem. As the Earth becomes warmer, many deadly problems can occur.

Global emissions of carbon dioxide have jumped by the largest amount in 2010. Carbon dioxide, as well as other gases, keeps heat in the Earth’s atmosphere. They can stay in the atmosphere for decades, centuries, or even thousands of years! Greenhouses gases trap heat near the Earth’s surface. This is called the greenhouse effect.

Some problems that will occur are; the spread of disease, warmer waters and more hurricanes, melted polar ice caps and many more. Insects are the ones who will spread the diseases. They will move north as northern countries warm up, infecting the people that live there. When the temperature of the oceans rises, the probability of more frequent and stronger hurricanes will increase. There will be many more floods in coastal areas, and many species that can’t adapt to these changes will become extinct. We actually saw this in 2004 and in 2005. The melting of polar ice caps can cause many problems. It will cause the sea levels to rise, it will make the oceans less salty, it will change the temperature of the ocean, and the only reflector of the Sun’s energy will be the ocean. Since the ocean can be very dark, it will absorb the heat, thus making the Earth even warmer. According to NASA studies, arctic sea ice has declined about ten percent.

1998 was the warmest year ever measured in history, and carbon dioxide, greenhouse gases, and methane has hit their highest level since 420,000 years ago. The Earth’s temperature will continue to rise. In fact, scientists predict that the temperature of the Earth will raise two to ten degrees Fahrenheit by the end of this century.

As you can see, global warming is a huge problem that everyone should be aware of. We can all do small things to help stop global warming. Some things that you can do are; driving less, saving energy around the house, and using florescent light bulbs.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sciencetech/5-deadliest-effects-of-global-warming/276?image=5

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAbATJCugs&feature=player_embedded

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 06:30 PM • comment (2) • Reads 53 • Return to Blog List

Jessica, I agree with you. Most people do not understand that this is a problem. It might not effect us now but it definitely will in the future. I'm not telling you to go out and buy a hybrid vehicle that is purely ridiculous.
Posted February 8, 2012 at 05:34 PM by • Saiteja D
I have to agree with you! I like your last paragraph, saying that one of us can't do anything, but if we all come together, we can fight this.
Posted January 22, 2012 at 03:48 PM by • Jeffrey S

Hey, I'm Jessica. My favorite subjects are math and science, even though I need to ask a million questions to understand what were doing. I like to play softball and basketball. I love to listen to music and wish I had a good voice because I sing A LOT. :)