Copyright (c) 2014 by Zaryab A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Zaryab A -- Blogmeister

Zaryab's Magic Wonderland of fun and science

Period 3/4 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Zaryab A

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Space Exploration Betelgeuse

You can enter theBetelgeuse is a super giant star with a spectral type of M2. Betelgeuse is a massive star which is pretty obvious considering it is part of the super giant star class. The luminosity of Betelgeuse is 10,000 times that of the sun. I think it's pretty cool that if our sun was replaced with Betelgeuse  the surface of Betelgeuse might end up stretching out beyond  the asteroid belt as well as the planets outside the orbit of Mars  being engulfed by the star. Super giants usually have a short life span due to their huge mass, so Betelgeuse may end up going out soon.Betelgeuse is also the ninth brightest star in our sky. Betelgeuse is approximately 640 light years away from the earth. Betelgeuse was discovered in the 1920s. It has been observed  from the ground in many different ways but it's diameter and brightness vary.  In 1995 the Hubble Space Telescope imaged Betelgeuse directly using ultra violet rays. I think Betelgeuse is worthy of exploration and is interesting because of how it is one of the brightest stars in our sky and the second  brightest in the Orion constellation. Another reason is that it has a limited lifespan being a super giant star. What captivates me the most is its size having the mass of about 20 suns. Betelgeuse will go supernova in about a thousand years making it the brightest supernova visible from earth. Here is an interesting link:http://www.universetoday.com/42361/betelgeuse/ text of your blog here!Betelgeuse. Image credit: Hubble

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 06:17 PM • comment (1) • Reads 74 • Return to Blog List

Wow I didn't know most of this. Thanks for the information. It was very good.
Posted December 10, 2011 at 07:42 PM by • Jessica S

Hello Ladies and Gents! My name is Zaryab. I love to play the guitar and swimming too. I've been on a swim team since I was 5 yrs old. Math and science are my favorite school subjects. I love to travel and have been to many countries in the world. My favorite color is black. But not dark black. JK. My favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold and I enjoy listening to their music in my free time. Basketball is my other favorite sport besides swimming. My favorite basketball team is the Boston Celtics. Keita is my bestest friend ever!