Copyright (c) 2014 by Janani S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Janani S -- Blogmeister

Janani S-

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Janani S teacher: Mr. Ullrich

NEPTUNE

Facts about Neptune:

ü [LINK]" align="left" hspace="12" alt="Description: [LINK]" v:shapes="Picture_x0020_1" />Is the eighth and farthest planet from the Sun in the Solar System

ü Named after the Roman God of Sea

ü It is the fourth largest planet by diameter and third largest by mass

ü On an average, Neptune orbits the Sun and a distance of 30.1 AU

ü Discovered on September 23, 1846

ü Neptune is a gas giant however, it is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium

ü The interior of Neptune is composed of ice and rocks

ü Neptune’s atmosphere is notable for its active and visible weather patterns

vNeptune’s mass is 17 times that of the Earth but it is only 1/19th that of Jupiter’s (OMG!)

ü Neptune is approximately 4.5 km away from the Earth

[LINK]" align="left" hspace="12" alt="Description: [LINK]" v:shapes="Picture_x0020_2" />How Was Neptune Discovered?

Neptune was discovered as the result of observed irregularities in the motion of Uranus and the first planet to be discovered on the basis of theoretical calculations.

By: J. C. Adams, U. J. Leverrier, and J. C. Galle in 1846

Why is Neptune worth it?

Neptune is my favorite planet in the Solar System, besides the Earth, because it is BLUE! It is worth exploring because there is a lot to learn from reading about it. It has some unique characteristics compared to the other four gas giants and it is also similar to those planets as well.

Link: [LINK]

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 05:47 PM • comment • Reads 174 • Return to Blog List

Hi! I am Janani and I am in 8th grade. I play the violin in school and I play the piano and take Indian classical dance lessons. I am a very hard working student and I can't wait to see all the exciting things we do in Earth Science this year!