Copyright (c) 2014 by Zaryab A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Zaryab A -- Blogmeister

Zaryab's Magic Wonderland of fun and science

Period 3/4 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Zaryab A

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

MARS

Mars is worth exploring because it has a slight possibility that it can support life and humans can live there on day. This is because Mars might have frozen water under its surface. There is a lot of effort for exploration on Mars and people are trying to find a way to go to Mars to try to make it suitable for human life. In my opinion, it would be great if life on Mars succeeded, but it will take a very long time and is pretty unlikely because of the money it takes to do everything and also the way of getting to Mars. Scientists believe that Mars was very similar to earth with oceans and rivers long before humans.

Mars is the fourth planet in our solar system. It has a reddish appearance. It has a thin atmosphere and is similar to Earth in some ways. It has two moons Phobos and Deimos. They are very small and irregularly shaped. Mars is mostly made up of red soil, and rock. It is a terrestrial planet. It is less dense than earth but it’s surface area is only a little less than Earth’s amount of dry land.  It has a lot of interesting terrain including a mountain/volcano called Olympus Mons. Olympus Mons rises 24 km or 78,000 feet above the surrounding plain. It’s base is more than 500km in diameter and it’s cliff/rim is 6km or 20,000 high. It takes Mars 24 hours and 39 minutes to rotate on its axis and 686.971 Earth days or 1.8808 Earth years to fully revolve around the sun.

Cool Facts:

1. Mars was named after the Roman God of war, Mars.

2. If humans were to come to Mars, it could be terraformed (the climate, surface, and properties of Mars would become habitable by humans and other life).  This is how it would look like!

3.  Mars is sometimes referred as the Red Planet.

4. The name of the month March comes from the planet Mars.

Mars distance from Earth varies. Both planets travel around elliptical orbits that are not very synchronized, so they are constantly getting closer together and farther apart.

How was it discovered: Mars is a lot like Venus, it is very bright and very easily seen in the night sky. We do not know who actually discovered Mars. Scientists most likely observed it and figured out it was a planet. However, Mars moons were discovered. In 1877, Asaph Hall spotted the two moons and named them.

Feel free to dork-out and read up about very interesting facts about Mars! Use this website: [LINK]

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 04:41 PM • comment (3) • Reads 632 • Return to Blog List

If i could live on any planet and the conditions didn't matter, I would probably live on Venus because I love the warmth! And I thought it was very cool when I found out that Mars could become like Earth too!
Posted January 15, 2012 at 03:52 PM by • Kush C
That would be cool to live on Mars, but I think it would take some time to get use to. If you could live on any planet and the conditions of the planet didn't matter, what would it be?
Posted December 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM by • Justine I
That would be so cool if one day we could actually live on Mars! I didn't even know that Mars had frozen water under it's surface.
Great job!
Posted December 10, 2011 at 07:55 PM by • Nicole C

Hello Ladies and Gents! My name is Zaryab. I love to play the guitar and swimming too. I've been on a swim team since I was 5 yrs old. Math and science are my favorite school subjects. I love to travel and have been to many countries in the world. My favorite color is black. But not dark black. JK. My favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold and I enjoy listening to their music in my free time. Basketball is my other favorite sport besides swimming. My favorite basketball team is the Boston Celtics. Keita is my bestest friend ever!