Copyright (c) 2014 by Manny D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Manny D -- Blogmeister

Manny's Eighth Grade Adventure

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Manny D

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

PLUTO - the dwarf planet in our solar system

Pluto is a celestial body, a planet, which usually orbits beyond Neptune. Formerly classified as a planet, Pluto's much smaller size compared to the other planets has moved it into a "dwarf planet" category. 

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by accident. An error in calculations predicted a planet beyond Neptune, based on the motions of itself and Uranus. Clyde W. Tombaugh surveyed the sky, and despite the error, discovered pluto. 

Pluto is worth exploring because its great distance from Earth has inevitably caused little to be known about this dwarf plant orbiting beyond Neptune. Pluto is interesting because many of the known characteristics and facts about Pluto differ from those of most of the other planets in our solar system. 

Pluto was named after the god of the underworld in Roman mythology, Hades in Greek mythology. Pluto is smaller than seven of the moons in the solar system(our Moon, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan and Triton) A spacecraft called "New Horizons" was launched in January of 2006 and is expected to reach pluto in 2015, if all goes well. Pluto orbits in the opposite direction of most of the other planets. Charon, one of Pluto's moons, was not discovered until 1978. Depending on where pluto is from it's orbit, Pluto can range between 28 and 50 astronomical units from Earth. Another interesting fact about Pluto's orbit would be that sometimes Pluto is closer to the sun than Neptune, resulting in it's greatly varying distance from Earth. 

Want to learn more? Check out these links!

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted December 4, 2011 at 09:15 PM • comment (2) • Reads 199 • Return to Blog List

this is really descriptivee! i love how you made it all creative so it would catch peoples attention! alsoo i learned a lot of facts! i didnt know that Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto :O
Posted January 18, 2012 at 05:18 PM by • Rebecca K
Hi Lisa! I did Pluto too, and you did a fantastic job! Your information was well put and i enjoyed reading it!
Posted January 15, 2012 at 04:47 PM by • Jasmine B

Hello fellow bloggers my name is Manny D and I sure am excited for Earth Science this year. My favorite subjects would have to be science and social studies. I am also an avid soccer and hockey player. Some of my hobbies include golf, fishing,and farming. I am also Portuguese. Being that I am very proud of my heritage you will probaly be hearing updates about what is going on in Portugal. Eighth grade I'm sure will be a fun year for me and all of my classmates. I hope it is for you to. Update will be made regularly and feel free to visit again.