Copyright (c) 2014 by Manny D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Manny D -- Blogmeister

Manny's Eighth Grade Adventure

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Manny D

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

A celestial object that I wanted to learn about is the planet Saturn. It is interesting to me because it is one of the few planets that have rings and it is the secnd largest planet. It is worth exploring becasue it has many cool features. All of the planets in the solar system have exciting features, but saturn stood out to me the most. Saturn is an oblate and visibly flattened when viewed from a telescope. Its equotorial diameter is 120,536 kilometers and its polar diameter is 108,728 kilometers. It is less dense of all the other planets and its graviy is 0.7. It is made of 75% hydrogen and 25% heium with traces of water, methane ammonia and "rock", like jupiter. Its interior is a rocky core, liquid meallic hydrogen layer and a molecular hydrogen layer. The interiior is hot at the core at 12000 kelvin. It orbits 1,429,400,000 kilometers from the sun, 9.54 astronomical unit. The rings is the most interesting to me. Saturn has two prominent rings and one faint ring can be seen from earth. They are very bright and very thin, 250,000 kilometers or more in diameter. The paricles of the rings are water ice, rocky particles, with ice coating. Like all planets, saturn has a magnetic field. It is the sixth largest planet from the sun and has 47 satellites. Its maximum disteance from earth is 1,658,854,9880 kilometers and its minimum is 1,195,772,020 kilometers. Saturn was first observered in 1610 by Galileo, with a telescope. In 1659, Christian Huygens correctly inferred its geometery of rings. Saturn was first visited by NASA's Pioneer II in 1979 and later by Voyager 1 and 2. Cassini (a joint NASA project) arrived on saturn on July 1, 2004 and orbited for at least 4 years. To learn more about saturn check out this link: http://nineplanets.org/saturn.html

Article posted December 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM • comment (2) • Reads 2379 • Return to Blog List

Wow! Lots of great information! I never knew that you can see Saturn's rings from Earth!
Posted January 15, 2012 at 04:11 PM by • Kush C
I didn't realize how interesting Saturn was. I might look it up. I really like how you talked about the rings... How intriguing!
Posted December 21, 2011 at 07:26 AM by • Paul M

Hello fellow bloggers my name is Manny D and I sure am excited for Earth Science this year. My favorite subjects would have to be science and social studies. I am also an avid soccer and hockey player. Some of my hobbies include golf, fishing,and farming. I am also Portuguese. Being that I am very proud of my heritage you will probaly be hearing updates about what is going on in Portugal. Eighth grade I'm sure will be a fun year for me and all of my classmates. I hope it is for you to. Update will be made regularly and feel free to visit again.