Copyright (c) 2014 by Joshua S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Joshua S -- Blogmeister

Joshua's Scientific Discoveries -

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Joshua S teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Venus is easy to see with the unaided eye. In fact, it’s the brightest object in the night sky after the Moon.Humans have been on Earth for 200,000 years, so maybe that’s how long we’ve known about the planet. Ancient astronomers didn’t know what Venus was. They knew it was an object in the sky. But when Copernicus developed his model of the Solar System, he placed the Sun at the center, and the planets orbiting it. That was when Venus and Earth were recognized as planets. Venus was named after the Roman goddess Venus, who is the goddess of love. Venus's counterpart from the Greeks was named Aphrodite. Venus is considered to be Earth's twin sister because of their similar shape and size. Venus rotates very slowly. Venus orbits closer to the Sun than Earth, and so it takes less time to orbit the Sun. In fact, Venus takes only 224.7 days to orbit the Sun. Compare this with the Earth, which takes 365.25 days to orbit the Sun. This means that a year on Venus lasts only 62% the length of a year on Earth. Even stranger, Venus rotates backwards compared to all the other planets in the Solar System. If you could fly up above the Solar System and then look down at the planets, all of them are turning in a counter-clockwise direction, except Venus. Venus doesn't have any moons. Venus has phases though. Venus has few craters and has a spacecraft right now called the Venus Express. It takes 243.69 days for Venus to complete one rotation. Venus is a cool planet even though it is very hot. HaHa! It was a joke. Venus has water on it, so maybe people can live on Venus one day. If the Earth gets overpopulated, people can try living on Mars and Venus. If it doesn't work out, people would need to stop having kids. Venus is such a cool planet!

--Joshua Somrah
Article posted December 1, 2011 at 04:04 PM • comment • Reads 293 • Return to Blog List

I am an 8th grader. I have two brothers. My favorite color is blue. I have a huge family. I like playing soccer and cricket. I like to go on the computer, read books and write stories. Enjoy my blog :)